how do you get a job in todays economy?

dh lost his job and we are going for broke. dh was able to find a new job, but it isn't enough to pay our bills. I need to get a job but now-a-days you need experience to get a job but you can't get experience without a job... and with no college its that much harder to get a job so I was hoping for some tips... thanks ladies!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:25 PM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Money & Work

• Sounds like a cop out to me. There are jobs, lots of jobs, especially for people who have no experience. You need to go to the employment office and ask about jobs. Just get out there and do it. They are out there if you look.

Funny story... We have a business and have been trying to hire... Everyone in the town is on unemployment and they like it that way.... Can't hire anyone to save a frickin life. Go figure. It's a good job, good pay...
    Anonymous

• The unemployment rate keeps going up and it is very discouraging. I do have a few suggestions, though (I do career and job search coaching).
    Number 1 is networking; Cafemom is a start, but you need to actively seek out people and groups that can help you meet people who can connect you to someone hiring. Less the half of the available positions are posted on the job boards; you need to get out and find the others.
    Number 2 is having a great "elevator speech". This is a 15 second introduction on who you are and what you are looking for.
    Number 3 is a great resume that tells the reader who you are, what you can do, what you have accomplished, and how you can help.
    Number 4 is great coverletters tailored to the position/company.
    Number 5 is using one of the meta search sites, like Indeed or Simply Hired, to comb the job boards for you.
    Looking for a job is a full time job

Answer by rkoloms at 10:29 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I agree with rkoloms. But there is a catch. You can only sell yourself so far without experience. Best way to get experience is to volunteer. Many businesses are currenly on a shoe string budget and will teach considerable skills to volunteers. Check your job-force or chamber of commerce, and be strategic where you start. You don't get much profitable experience stocking shelves. Be at the right places, and make yourself noticed.
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 10:35 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Temp agencies are a great way to get some experience. You do not need a college degree but some specific skills do help. Check into a few computer(or any other) classes at a vocational school or local college. You might also make contacts while taking these courses. Good Luck.
    MACY7108

Answer by MACY7108 at 10:35 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Iron your pants, even if it is a blue jean job. I'm serious. That is how I got a job in a factory when "no one was hiring", my interviewer liked how I "paid attention to detail".
    Anonymous

• First anon...where do u live? I'll work....

Seriously....take anything there is.
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 12:26 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I think that you are not trying hard enough.If the illegal immigrants have jobs and work and are able to pay their bills,I think you can.I think you are using the I can't find a job as an excuse.There are jobs out there.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:34 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• well I'm 9 months pregnant (due sunday) I'm asking for tips for when baby is born...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:41 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Both DH and I are self employed. I work from home with a debt free company, so I am not very affected by this economy, but it is true - there ARE a lot of jobs out there, but to GET it, you should be ready to work very hard, show up early, do extra...it is the people who can actually WORK that will weather this economy without suffering.

So, if you want a job, use your feet! GO to the places you want to work at and let them know you know how to WORK. Start when the first office/warehouse/restaurant opens, and KEEP GOING until the last one closes,and repeat until you get a job.

I used to be a bartender, and many of my afternoon customers were "looking for work"...they often showed up as soon as I opened, and spent the afternoon "planning" what they would do to find a job. NOT very effective.
    livewell

Answer by livewell at 8:11 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• if you got a competer you got ways of making money and avon only 10 dallars you could be on your way to making some while you worry . call me 3179845967 or www.youravon.com/harvey4596
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:51 PM on Aug. 1, 2009