How can I encourage real words?

My 18 month old daughter loves to talk. But it's of course nothing more than continued gibberish. She'll look at me and ask this very long question...that's just a jumble of sounds. I KNOW she's trying to communicate, but for whatever reason, real words don't stick! I know there is nothing wrong with her hearing, because she can hear a fruit snack taken out of a box from across the house. We read, watch shows like Dora, Sesame Street, and Disney Playhouse...and I usually try to respond to her like I think I know what she's saying.

I NEED WORDS!! THE JIBBER-JABBER IS DRIVING ME NUTS!!

Sagely

Asked by Sagely at 10:34 PM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• She'll get it. Just give her time.
    My son mixes real words with jibber jabber; it's adorable but he gets SO pissed when I don't understand what he's trying to tell me.
    allans_girl

Answer by allans_girl at 10:35 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• It will get harder before it gets easier. my son (22 mos) has only just started using real words. We had to start teaching him sign (though he hears fine) and then he started actually talking. Try aslpro.com for sign language videos. It really was a huge help in getting my son to communicate with me, and I am sure it has helped him to learn to speak verbally.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 10:39 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• the most important thing: repition.

enunciate your words, sound them out when shes trying to say something, let her watch your mouth so she can imitate the movements. and repeat them. alot. when its driving you crazy ("P-eye-N-cOOOOOOO-Ne") say it some more.

and dont forget to listen, its hard to cach a todeler saying "elbow" when it comes out as "melmblow," but the effort still needs encoragement so they understand they are on the right track!
    kitti_kat_1115

Answer by kitti_kat_1115 at 10:42 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I would repeat the word correctly, and they figured it out. If they would say tookle and point to the cookie, I'd say would you like a cookie?

Answer by Bmat at 10:47 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Read alot. Speak to her in real words, not her own. Skip the TV. And teach some sign language. My son is just a year old and is already signing what he means... he doesn't know many yet but he's learning fast! He knows... more, milk, all done and we are working on eat and potty (bathroom, we want him ready to pottty train)
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:55 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• My granddaughter did that well past her second birthday. What we did was get her involved with children a little older then her and she wanted so badly for them to know what she was saying that she stopped baby babbling almost right away, that day.
    MSugarKane

Answer by MSugarKane at 8:34 AM on Aug. 1, 2009