New bed, new battle

We just switched my son(22 mos) from his crib to a toddler bed because he was climbing out of it and had hurt himself more than once in his crib. Now he refuses to fall asleep in his bed by himself. He will fall asleep if I lay down with him (imagine a full grown woman trying to fit onto a toddler bed..) He'll fall asleep on the floor in the livingroom rather than in his bed. Any advice on how to remedy this?

BisketLiss

Asked by BisketLiss at 10:36 PM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just switched my dd to toddler bed and had similar problems. Our old crib routine worked like magic - it was diaper change, brush teeth, book, milk and then lay her down in the crib and walk out of the room and shut the door. When we switched to the toddler bed I thought I had to ease her into it so I tried the sitting by the bed and stuff like that. finally after 2 hrs of trying - she'd eventually fall asleep - but I was exhausted. So after 2 or 3 days of that I decided to go back to what worked before. I did the old crib routine and walked out (but with her in toddler bed). She came running to the door and cried for about 4 mintues. Then went to bed. Each night this crying time was less and less. Now (about 2 weeks into our toddler bed - No crying!

It's going to be a what works best for you situation - but what worked best for us was for her to figure out that she could do it on her own!
    Good luck
    Val1313

Answer by Val1313 at 4:32 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Could you perhaps, sit beside the bed rather than LAY IN it? I've had to lay in my dd's toddler bed. I agree it's not easy. Haha. He just needs to get comfortable with the new bed. Bedtime is a sensitive time. Everything has to be just right for LO's to settle into sleep. I don't think you will have to lay with him forever. Just maybe a week or so to get him comfortable with the bed. My dd relaxes with a back rub, and then I tell her, "Mommy's going to leave the room now. I am just down the hall though if you need me, ok?" After a hug, kiss, and "I love you's", she's good to go. She sleeps in my bed though. She's just not comfortable in her own room for some reason right now. She's 3.
    Senae

Answer by Senae at 10:54 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• You might be interested in this article about putting kids to bed without tears. http://www.ehow.com/how_5237198_put-child-bed-tears.html Also see some bedtime books  http://astore.amazon.com/wwwcjkidzcom3-20?%5Fencoding=UTF8&node=23   I wouldn't get in the habit of spending a long time laying in bed with him (as much as you may want to), it's a hard habit to break once you get started.

momjs

Answer by momjs at 1:13 PM on Aug. 1, 2009