Dying your hair?

What are the effects of hair chemicals on your baby? I've dyed it twice already.

katsogrimey

Asked by katsogrimey at 10:43 PM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I worked in a salon and the chemicals USED to be bad in the 70s. They aren't anymore it will not hurt you or your baby to dye your hair, I've done it 5 times and I am only 21 weeks.
    Anonymous

• your not supposed to because of the ammonia in it and can leak through your hair follicles through your blood stream an there fore it could reach ur unborn babies blood supply not the best idea i know im currently 10 weeks and 3 days with my 3rd child ! good luck
    ohmama213

Answer by ohmama213 at 10:46 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I've always heard you shouldn't, but I'm not totally sure on that matter. I've only died my hair once, so I would just ask your doctor... Or look it up online...
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 10:49 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I had my hair highlighted 4 times when i was prego with my first. And have had it done 3 times with this one. My Dr. said it was fine

pinkanfgrl

Answer by pinkanfgrl at 10:54 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• It really depends on what kind of dye. Bleaching a full head of hair isn't really a good idea. Most of the concern is about the fumes making you sick or high.

Gealach

Answer by Gealach at 10:55 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Thank you guys all your answers have been helpful.
    katsogrimey

Answer by katsogrimey at 10:57 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I am a hair stylist not a doctor but in some hair color products there is very low amounts of ammonia that will not hair your unborn child, there have been not studies show that it can reach the baby, and if there is i have never heard of it. i worked until i was a week due and i was doing color and my son was perfectly healthy i think it really is your choice to color or not to color your hair!! Good Luck!
    RCPerry511

Answer by RCPerry511 at 12:13 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• My doctor told me just as long as you're in your second trimester, it's fine to dye your hair.
    CrystalJanie

Answer by CrystalJanie at 1:16 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• My doctor told me the same thing. There is no evidence that proves that hair dying is safe, nor is there any evidence that it is unsafe. I was told the chemicals in hair dye these days are far less harsh and damaging and as long as you are in a well-ventilated room, dying your hair while pregnant is no big deal. Mine's been done twice as well.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 1:19 AM on Aug. 1, 2009