Does anyone else on medicaid have problems finding a doctor?

I know I am going to get some rude responses but for those geniunely helpful...your experience or information would be useful.

We have to wait until I get a job again so we can afford our old insurance but until then we have had problems finding a "good doctor."

I just wanted to know if anyone else has had these problems also.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:48 PM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Im so sorry youre having trouble, but that is very common. I just moved to this new town recently and its a fairly poor town. Most of the patients here are medicaid and I tried to find a new PCP just to see me for blood work once a year. I no sooner told them what I needed and they asked me what insurance I had. WHen I said Cigna, then they said they would take me. They obviously werent taking any more state insurance patients. So think about how this is going to work with UH. The doctors dont have to be involved in the governments plan, I dont think. They can go private practice and take only privately insured people. I dont know how the government is going to get around that, but I do know that government insured patients do get less than mediocre care. I hate that its like that, but it is. Im sorry for your situation, and I hope you find one soon.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:56 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Doctors, thankfully, can choose how many medicaid patients they are going to accept. It's really not fair to them, because they don't get paid squat. Why should a person who has just spent 50,000.00 on school to become a Dr. not make any money??? It ridiculous. I saw one Dr. come out of medical school, accept a job and inherit all the patients from a Dr. who had just retired. ALL MEDICAID and MEDICARE patients. Yup, he walked out after 6 months. This man just completed school to make something out of his life... live a life he deserves... and then along comes a Medicaid patient...

sorry.. not to get on a rant.. but I don't have health insurance, but I also don't have medicaid... I PAY CASH!! Cash... the money I make from working..

Thank you.
    Anonymous

• The Medicaid office can give you a list of approved doctors for you to choose from.

Gealach

Answer by Gealach at 10:52 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I did. I am still looking for a pediatrician! Its hard but you can do it! Call your local medicaid office and have them send you a packet with a list of doctors and PCP! I have medicaid and if anyone is rude to you about it, is unhappy with their life's.

Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 10:54 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Well I don't have any great advice, I have had the same problem. And specialists are even worse. I literally had a podirist look at my chart see the medi-cal and change his whole attitude. He had been talking to me all nice and friendly and then changed to talking to me like I was a three year old and in a very rude manor. I reported him to the general doctor I was seeing and they said they would not be sending any more referalls his way, medi-cal or other wise.

Can you contact your previous provider and ask for a recommendation? I wish you well.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 10:55 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• anon, shutup.
    Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 10:55 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• When we were kids, we were on Medicaid. We didn't have a problem finding a doctor, but we had a hard time getting a dentist. I rarely saw a dentist; my mom couldn't afford to pay out of pocket and there was only 1 dentist who accepted Medicaid and his office was always full. They had one day a month that you could call to make appointments and you could spend all day on the phone and still be turned down.
    allans_girl

Answer by allans_girl at 10:57 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Not really. I have a great primary doctor...I've been seeing her for almost 5 years. My daughter has a good pediatrician. We have never had any problems getting appointments. We wait no more than 10 minutes to be seen.

There ARE doctors who aren't so blinded by money that they would deny a medicaid recepient quality services. Being a doctor isn't all about MONEY. Any good doctor will tell you that.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 10:57 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• My card had a website on the back and a directory online, i just typed in my zip code and they gave me a list.
    trying2survive

Answer by trying2survive at 11:06 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Thanks everyone...and to the first above Anon poster...I have 60,000 debt from student loans, a associates, bachelors and master and I cannot find job...doctors are not the only ones having issues. I wish we could afford our blue cross still!
    Anonymous