How do I make him stop screaming?!

My son Ezekiel is 2 1/2 years old. He has been having this habbit of screaming for everything. Like when he is excited, when he is mad, or in timeout, or when it is too quite. And when he watch his morining cartoons on club house Disney. It seems to me as he gets older the sreams gets more high pitch and louder. So loud it makes my ears pop. Does anyone know what I can do to bring my son from a level 10 to a level 2 or 1????

inez1331

Asked by inez1331 at 10:56 PM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Introduce the concept of indoor and outdoor voices. Tell him he can yell and scream outside, but that inside it is not ok. GL..
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 10:59 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Don't give him what he wants when he screams.
    allans_girl

Answer by allans_girl at 11:00 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• my 3rd child (son) was born screaming his head off - so loud my ear drums vibrate. happy, sad, whatever, he screams. I think sometimes it's just in them. but at 2.5 you can definitely start teaching him inside and outside voices. make him use his words or use a sign to get what he wants. say 'use your words' and then ignore what ever scream or tantrum he throws until he does it the right way. and if he's in timeout, make him be quiet in timeout for 2 minutes before he gets out again. my 3rd is 17 months and i'm teaching him sign language and shhh and inside and outside voices. the sign language really helps, the others, not so much.
    Anonymous

• When my sister did that we would ignore her until she talked in a normal tone. My mom would even say "I sure wish i could talk to Katie, I wish she would stop screaming so we could talk like big girls.". But only say it once, if you say it alot thats not ignoring.
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 11:46 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Hahaha... sounds like you are talking about my daughter... I just try to ignore her screaming... She wants something and screams she won't get it. It's hard - I know - going through that myself but it's already starting to work. But she needs to know that screaming won't get her nowhere.
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 11:52 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• He has found his 'voice'. Play whisper games with him. Whisper in his ear when he gets going. He will have to quiet down to hear what your saying. Encourage him to whisper back to you. Make it a game. Its really just a matter of teaching him to control his voice.
    MSugarKane

Answer by MSugarKane at 8:32 AM on Aug. 1, 2009