• In the Spotlight:

what do you think is wrong with our society and what do you think could be done to change it?

before i explain-i would like to say, can we keep this OFF Obama? i know not everyone likes him, some hate him, and some love him. but this post is not about him. :)
i think our judicial system could be harsher. punishments should be more harsh-ex. drug dealers have pretty harsh sentences. rapist and murders should have longer sentences. the "insane" plea works too well. i think there should be limitations on that too. i also think that if a famous person commits a crime, they should get more than a trip to rehab and a couple days in jail. JMO what are your thoughts?
lets keep this nice ladies...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:59 PM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• the judicial system should NOT be harsher, it should be more efficient and people-oriented insead of it being treated as a busness, which is what lead it to be as harsh as it is today.

drug laws need reform, ESPICALLY marijuana, because it is not only a usefull medicine, but it is HARMLESS and could cure cancer, but were not yet sure on that since its reserch is aslo prohibited.

aside form that, hemp should be legaized to secure our energy independence, and those millions of green jobs, and save our economy and farmland.

universal healthcare, DU, for everyone, whatever they need whenever they need it by the best people to give it.

and regardless if all else fails, EDUCATION is the key to EVERY social and political problem our counry faces, yet education budgets continue to shrink in the name of the war on drugs (now over 500 BILLION dollars spent) which itself, could be solved with education.
    kitti_kat_1115

Answer by kitti_kat_1115 at 11:08 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• i can see what you mean, i think. lol. can you explain to me what you mean by more people oriented instead of run like a business? i was a little confused. thanks for your input :)
    -OP
    Anonymous

• what do you think is wrong with our society and what do you think could be done to change it?

The United States of America is becoming MORE about entitlements and less about individual opportunities to pursue goals. There are 'too many' Americans who look to the government to solve their problems before looking at themselves. There are too many politicians who know if they provide entitlements, people become dependentand NEED the government, thus [those politicians] win votes. It's a pathetic slippery slope.... Teach people to provide for themselves.  Keep incentives strong and entitlements to a minimum.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:18 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• [cont'd] SOME People feel we [as a nation] should help those in prison and have empathy for prisoners. . They are the victims and they are 'entitled' to rehab. I disagree. They should be punished to a level that fits the crime. After they have dont their time, they should be allowed counseling for them to decide the direction THEY want to take. Holding hands and playing the hopenchange game of rehab is NOT going to make American a safer place... jmo

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:22 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Justice Department statistics show the insanity defense is used only in approximately 1 percent of criminal cases and fewer than a quarter of those eventually prove successful.
    Anonymous

• Well said grly.I will be 34 this yr and I cannot believe what is happening to this country.I never thought i'd live to see this mess of so many Americans looking to big gubmint as their provider and god.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:35 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Really, some think the biggest crisis that we face is ppl wanting a bigger central government?

Morals, Ethics, Standards, education, health care, etiquette, respect for others/mankind, marriage,family.
    There are so many issues facing this country, I would have a difficult time pinpointing the root.
    Probably the breakdown of the nuclear family and man's inhumanity to man- if I had to state the BIGGEST problems we face, and those cause many.any other issues.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:50 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I think everyone deserves the right to preserve their health. Like the fire dept, the PD - healthcare is something that one should not have to chose or ignore based on whether or not you want to eat this week. You should not go bankrupt if you have ins and medical bills. I think it is a basic right - that your income should not determine whether or not you "deserve" to be healthy.

Other than that, I think that America needs to get off its entitled ass and make something of itself. Focus on education, not being famous on MTV for 15. Teach kids to stand on their own, not hand them shit for shutting up. We are allowing ourselves to dumb ourselves down, and it is completely by choice. No one wants to work anymore. I do not get that. As soon as I was able to work for myself, I did. And have ever since. I take great pride in that. It seems that the idea of pride for hard work and self reliance has fallen by the way.
    LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 11:52 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Yes it has fallen by the wayside lil and some of the problem IS big government programs.Tell me what they run effectively and efficiently? Is it PA? is it the dmv? is it social security? is it medicade/care? The latest the cash for clunkers thing.....I mean why would we call for MORE from the government when they have not ran a thing right? Fannie and freddie GOVERNMENT.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:56 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• This sums it up well
    We have taller buildings but shorter tempers, wider freeways, but narrower viewpoints. We spend more, but have less, we buy more, but enjoy less. We have bigger houses and smaller families, more conveniences, but less time. We have more degrees but less sense, more knowledge, but less judgment, more experts, yet more problems, more medicine, but less wellness. We drink too much, smoke too much, spend too recklessly, laugh too little, drive too fast, get too angry, stay up too late, get up too tired, read too little, watch TV too much, and pray too seldom. We have multiplied our possessions, but reduced our values. We talk too much, love too seldom, and hate too often. We've learned how to make a living, but not a life. We've added years to life not life to years. We've been all the way to the moon and back, but have trouble crossing the street to meet a new neighbor. cont.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:58 PM on Jul. 31, 2009