Do you think this is crazy

I do. My family is looking to add another dog to our family. Instead of going to a store we instead decided to go to the shelter. We found an absolutely amazing dog and no one else was interested in her. We filled out the app and they asked us to bring proff of my beagles immunizations-resonable. Upon seeing the records, they aske dif my dog was neutered-he is NOT. They told me that I could not have the dog if I did not neuter my beagle!!!! Because she is a female. But she is fixed! They looked at me like I was a criminal for not netering my dog. I never had a reasont to neuter him. He has been the only dog at home, stays inside and I was told by the Vet that it was my choice. It almost seemed like they thought I was trying to breed them! Imagine! A beagle and a pitbull! And obviously I know that any shelter dog is fixed! All this bullshit is the exact reason we bought our first dog at a store. Then they say that is so bad!

MiSSHiSCAMP0S

Asked by MiSSHiSCAMP0S at 11:00 PM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Pets

• It is common practice for shelters to deny adoptions for the reason that a potential owner has an unaltered animal at home. It was the policy at the shelter where I worked for years, and they only just recently changed it. Now they ask you to neuter your pets, but do not require it. They do still neuter pets being adopted though. Please understand that what we see at the shelter can at times be horrific, and all because someone didn't spay or neuter their pet. It's hard to deal with, when you know you can prevent it by being a little strict in your adopt policy.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 11:04 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Since when did we HAVE to fix our dogs...I honestly think it is wrong and un natural. My dog is perfect with a perfect temperment. Why would I alter him and so shelters treat ppl this way
    MiSSHiSCAMP0S

Answer by MiSSHiSCAMP0S at 11:02 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• That's nuts. We adopted a cat from a shelter and were told we HAD to neuter him.
    allans_girl

Answer by allans_girl at 11:03 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Bisket-but what is the harm in NOT fixing my beagle if the new addition WILL be fixed
    MiSSHiSCAMP0S

Answer by MiSSHiSCAMP0S at 11:06 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Rescues and shelters have their policies for a reason and they reserve the right to refuse an adoption to anyone. I do believe that there are people out there with unaltered dogs that are actually responsible, but they are few and far between and rescue and shelter workers know this all too well and do not want to adopt to people who are "potentially" irresponsible pet owners. It most definitely IS your choice if you do not want to neuter your pet, but it is also the choice of shelters and rescues to not adopt to families with unaltered pets that have the potential to contribute to the overpopulation crisis that creates the need for shelters and rescues in the first place.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:06 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• KTMOM How would I add to overpopulation if the new dog will be FIXED
    MiSSHiSCAMP0S

Answer by MiSSHiSCAMP0S at 11:08 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• You know they tell everyone they should be responsible and nueter thier animals because "its so much healthier for them" The only thing is COULD possibly prevent is certain cancers. And why yes that is pretty cool you don't see humans going around getting thier colons,lung, skin etc removed because thier is a possiblity we may get that cancer. Thats bologna that they would not let you adopt her!!!!!!
    Anonymous

• I am not saying you will add to it with the new dog since it is obviously already altered, I am saying that the shelter workers have to hold EVERY potential adopter to the same standard in that they will not adopt to people with dogs that are unaltered that could possibly add to the pet overpopulation problem. It is a hard situation. I understand your frustration, because it sounds like you have been responsible thus far and your dog is not out impregnating females, but the rescue workers can not be sure of these things, so they stand their ground on their policies of making sure that all animals in the household are altered.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:14 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Thank you ANON! And then they put ppl down when they go to stores! The process they put us through to get a dog and give it a loving home is insane! I think it would be easier to adopt a child from China.
    MiSSHiSCAMP0S

Answer by MiSSHiSCAMP0S at 11:15 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• They are being cautious about the temperment of the full male dog at home. Full males are notorious for being dominance seekers when another dog is brought into the mix and they can get pretty viscous. If it is their policy, you have to abide by it. They have a lot of experience and make these rules for a reason.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:00 AM on Aug. 1, 2009