Anyone out there with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrom?

HI I am 23 and I have a son who just turned two. I had my yearly exam about 3 months ago. She sent me for blood work recently and it came back as I have PCOS. I had the blood work for minor pain in right abdomen where right ovary is. And very light spotting a few weeks before my period. I am not on birth controll pills but I do have a copper IUD in place. My period is pretty regular coming every month about the 28th to 30th day of my cycle!
Do you think I am misdiagnoised? What's the advice of other women out there with this disorder? Should an Ultrasound be done? Whats the likely hood of it hurting my chances to have more children or even become infertile!?
I am going to the doctor on Wednesday to discuss this further but I am going bananas waiting till then! Please advice would be great!
Thanks,
Vickie

JulyMomma21

Asked by JulyMomma21 at 11:07 PM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Health

• My sister has PCOS. It seems as though she's had it since she hit puberty, or perhaps before though. It wasn't until two years ago that she was diagnosed with it. She has several cysts in her ovaries, and has been told that she will likely never have children, but that if she were to go on birth control it would increase her chances for children in the future(because it would regulate her cycle.) I would recommend having an ultrasound done to confirm, because from what she's told me it doesn't sound like you have the same thing. Perhaps you're in earlier stages.. I wish you luck though, and hope that whatever it turns out to be is treatable. Blessings!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 11:11 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I have PCOS and am ttc. I was diagnosed with an ultrasound after 2 years of no period. Basically I was infertile because the eggs turn into cysts before they can be released so you cannot get pregnant. My periods came back because of excercise and losing weight. So I can get pregnant right now and we are ttc. It really depends on each woman and how severe your case is. You can always be put on medication to ttc if you are having difficulty, I went through that and all the meds made me sick so I stopped taking them. I turned to diet and excercise and hopefully we will conceive.
    sylvia-ann

Answer by sylvia-ann at 11:14 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I also have PCOS. It depends on the person how if affects you. Personally, my periods used to be wacky but since I had children they are not so irregular. I did have to take fertility drugs to have both of my kids and will soon be starting again in hopes of atleast one more baby. I was told the older I get the less chance we have of more babies. It is basically now or never for us. I was diagnosed with an internal ultrasound. I suggest maybe they do that just to confirm it. You should also goggle it so you can see the differant things that are possible when you have PCOS. I wish you the best of luck.
    BrTupac

Answer by BrTupac at 1:42 AM on Aug. 1, 2009