Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do i go about getting guardianship??

I have a 5 year old sister who needs to start school. She currently lives with my very sick mother who is losing a battle to breast cancer. Today i went to my mothers house and it was terrible. I can't even begin to describe the mess i saw. Knee high in moldy trash, bugs... just ickyness! My sister can not stay there anymore. My sister is not up to date on shots, she's not enrolled in kindergarden, no schooln supplies, nothing! i just had a baby, by my SO and i are willing to take her and do what we need, but i'm so overwhelmed. I don't even know where to start. Financially it'll be a hard hit with us, but my baby sister deserves it. Am i wrong for wanting to take her? How do i do it? Who do i go talk to??

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:07 PM on Jul. 31, 2009 in General Parenting

Answers (6)
  • Wow. What a terrible situation. I would call CPS and talk to someone there to see what steps you need to take. Surely they will be able to help you.

    Answer by KTMOM at 11:11 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

  • I dont think it's wrong, but have you tried asking your mom if you could take your sister? That way it's not like an attack. Just tell her you know she's going through a hard time and you want to take your sister.

    If not, contact a lawyer so they can tell you the steps you need to take.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

  • I have talked to her about it and she just starts balling. She feels like a bad person and refuses to believe when i tell her it's ok. She needs to concentrate on makiing herself healthy. I'm pretty sure that she'll let me, but i just don't want to get cps involved, or do i have to? My mother really needs help as well....

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

  • Tell your mom you want to take your sister off her hands for awhile so she can work on herself, and that you want to spend more time with your baby sis. Heck tell her your child needs the friend. You can always enroll in online school. Most do from k-12. Poor kid. I can imagine she has no idea what to think.

    Answer by ColleenF30 at 2:03 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

  • Did you ever consider helping your mother out? She is living in the situation as well, they can get her nurses, services and aids to help her out, really think about both, why not have your mother stay with you too so that you can help her out too?

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:11 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

  • Contact social services. They can help provide your mom with home care. they can also give you guardianship. When you take guardianship of your sister, she should qualify for foodstamps & medicaid.

    If you don't want to involve social services, contact a lawyer & get Power of Attorney papers drawn up and have your mom sign them. If she's in real bad shape, it might be a good idea to get power pf attorney on her as well. That way you can take over her finances & medical decisions if needed.

    Answer by motherofhope98 at 10:24 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.