Anyone see John Stossel on 20/20 about health care reform? Wow, now I'm even more scared....

Wow, I just say John Stossel on 20/20 about Obama's health care plan, and now I'm even more scared. Did anyone see it?

He mentioned something I haven't thought about: Pharm. Companies and Medical Technology Companies (or whatever you call them) are VERY PROFIT DRIVEN. He pointed out that alot of life saving drugs/technology (like high tech artificial limbs, etc.) would not be around under a health care plan like the one Obama wants.

He also shared lots of the horror stories. One that really touched me was a Canadian mom had quadruplets and there were no NICU beds available so she had to come to the states to deliver in the states... Wow, can you imagine after facing infertility being scared that your babies won't get the healthcare available?

He also pointed out how lots of people around the world come to the US for heathcare, such as the prime minister of Italy came for cancer treatment.......

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:45 PM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't understand the question...
    Anonymous

• Wow, I am pretty worried about it myself. I would really like to see that show. When did you see it?
    I have been trying to keep up to date about all the Obama-care stuff coming out.
    rlapierre03

Answer by rlapierre03 at 11:49 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I do not know how the Obama plan will function but I see a lot of scaremongering which seems to be totally unecessary.

Yes, at its best, American healthcare is very good which is why some rich people come to the US to be treated. Unfortunately , not all Americans can access it as it is rationed by money and by insurance bureaucrats even for those who can afford the insurance premiums. Here in Canada with UHC, treatment decisions are made by doctors, not bureaucrats. It is true that some Canadians are sent to the States for treatment because the facilities are sometimes not readily aavailable here but in such cases all or most of the costs are paid by UHC . The same drugs that are available in the US are available in Canada, but UHC here does not pay for prescription drugs except for hospital in-patients .. For that we have supplementary private insurance, also necessary for dental and vision care.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 12:00 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• And if the U.S. has a healthcare system like Canada's then where will these people go?
    chocaholic888

Answer by chocaholic888 at 12:01 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• John Stossel pulls no punches.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 12:04 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Yeah, I'm scared too.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:05 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• There is no reason to believe that the quality of medical reasearch, practice and knowledge will decline in the US with a well-designed UHC. The number of people coming to the US for treatment from countries with UHC is very small. And Americans go to China and other countries for such treatments as kidney transplants because they cannot get them/ afford them in the US.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 12:19 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• DId not see it but this is all making me nauseous.Our dang govermnet doesn't run anything except into the ground so it makes no bit of sense whatsoever to hand them our F*&^^g healthcare! Why do people not get that??!?? Explain to me someone just how that makes any sense? We have medicare/cade.social security,the dmv.PA.public schools and not a one is ran effectively and effciently what is wrong with working on fixing the problems within those and NOT adding more government ran BS.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 12:22 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Janet there is every reason to believe it will decline. First off WE CAN"T AFFORD it. and yes people do occasionally go to China and buy a kidney on a corrupt gray market. The kidneys usually are harvested from people in prison. And you need a broker and six figures to buy it.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 12:25 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Yep where the hell is the money coming from? I mean to cover almost everyones health care in this country with are massive population.WE ARE BROKE NOW
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 12:27 AM on Aug. 1, 2009