Bunch of gay family.......what to do...

Ok. My Girls are 8 & 9 and my son is 15 months. I am not worried about him in this Q just thought I wouldn't leave him out ;). So my Aunt and I are planning a family reunion for Oct. She is a lesbian and has a really nice partner of a long time. My cousin (a little younger than me) is also a lesbian and will be bringing her partner, and to round out the trifecta my 2nd cousin will be there with HER partner. I love all these women alot, thats not a problem. I hear a lot of women on here talking about "teaching" acceptance. I am more of a they are family so we love them kind of person.

I wasn't really planning on making a big production about people loving differently, but now with all of us getting together for an extended period of time I wonder if I should. They have met my Aunt before and her partner but not the others. Is this something I should have a discussion about before we go? Any input would be great.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:46 PM on Jul. 31, 2009 in General Parenting

• Just don't make a big deal about it. If you make a big deal about it you make it more interesting to the child. Same story with things like drugs and alcohol.
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 11:49 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I would say the bigger the deal the less normal it would seem. If they question it then just answer truthfully. They love each other just like aunt and uncle so and so.
    Anonymous

• thats a good question, i wouldnt say anything, i'm sure they wont be doing PDA at a family reunion. i'm completely pro gay rights but i wouldnt even know how to begin with a nine year old... maybe some lesbian mothers on this site can help you :] i'll be watching this for replies hehe
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 11:53 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• dont say anything until they ask then have that talk. my dd is 4 and i am not sure i know what to say to her when she will asxk about my her uncle likeing boys and her aunt likeing girls.
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 11:56 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I wouldn'take a big deal of it and I'm sure others won't either if any questions should arise u can answer thats their special friend and leave it at that
    mom2fivekids579

Answer by mom2fivekids579 at 11:59 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• How would you treat a sex question? Very carefully! LOL Like the others said, don't make a big deal out of it and it won't be a big deal. My bro. is gay and him and his partner are treated the same as any other couple when around the kids! "This is uncle Jeff and uncle David." That's it! Cuz that's all it is! No big deal. They love each other. That is why they are together, just like mom and dad, or aunt and uncle!
    DirtyMonkey

Answer by DirtyMonkey at 12:05 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• my mom has a partner of the same sex, so does my step-uncles, and for that matter so does the mother of his best friend. Mind you my son is young, but I just don't even make a big deal of it and answer questions whena sked (mind you they are 4 and 5) but....

Growing up my mothers best friend was a gay man and his partner also worked with her. I was 8 or so when Miguel passed away and the only question I ever really rem. asking was why is Steve marring Linda, that makes no sense (about a year later). My parents never made a big deal of it, love is love and fabulous however it shows up.
    I never even thought anything diff. about it. It was just never a thing in my head, these were my family and that was that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:53 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I wouldn't make a big deal of it. The kids are young enough that it's probably not on their radar.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:46 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• just introduce them to your kids as their friends. Your kids are too young for any intimate details and probably won't even notice. And seriously I doubt the adults will have an issue.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:49 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Why not just introduce them as their girlfriends? It's really as simple as that. If they don't understand a simple "Some women fall in love with guys and some fall in love with other women" covers it without ever touching on the sex topic.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 9:28 AM on Aug. 1, 2009