Please help me explain it to my DD

My DD is four, and we just put our family cat to sleep. When we came back, she was getting ready to bed, so we haven't talked to her. Tomorrow morning, we have to explain. The cat has been sick, and she knows it. DD absolutely loves the cat.

Meachan

Asked by Meachan at 11:55 PM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Pets

• Oh, that's a tough one. Just tell her that God needed a new friend up there so your cat went with him. And maybe let her pick out a new pet.
    allans_girl

Answer by allans_girl at 11:56 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• It depends on if your religious or not really.

If you are religious use the heaven stand point. You know what I mean, like He went to play with his friends in heaven so God could make him feel better.

If your not religious perhaps explaining in simple terms. Here's our story...
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 12:01 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• First, we told her that our cat died and that means his body stopped working because he got very, very, very sick. We explained that he was like a toy without batteries, only there were no new batteries to put in him. Second, we brought our cat home. The vet wrapped him in a towel and put him in a little box. We all said good bye to him together. Our daughter saw that he looked peaceful but didn't move when we touched him. We told her that we were going to bury him in the backyard the next day and that when she got home from school, we would all visit his special spot in the yard. We decided that it might be too traumatic for her to see him get put into the ground. We were careful not to say that dying is like sleeping, because we didn't want her to be afraid of going to sleep. We also bought a kid's book about a child who loses a cat (10 Good Things About Barney)
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 12:02 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• You might tell her that the cat was sick and hurting a lot and now he has gone to a better place where he won't hurt and will have lots of other cats to play with and is now feeling so much better. I think simple explanations work well with small kids.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 2:04 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• i have told me dd that r animals died b/c they were really sick and mommy and the dr couldnt fix them and now they crossed rainbow bridge where they can play with new friends with out being sick
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 10:24 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I am not religious, so when my son's fish died, I told him that Shark had died and that he had been very lucky to have someone who loved him. I said that it was ok to be sad and miss him, but that he should be glad he was able to give Shark such a good long life. Then I asked him if he would like to get another fish and give him as much love and as happy a life as Shark had. He took it very well.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:44 PM on Aug. 1, 2009