why don't anti-homeschoolers

. . . complain about the increasing trend of public schools requiring 1st grade and even K level kids to start school already knowing how to read, write, spell, do addition and subtraction, etc?
Homeschooling opponents love to claim that those without teaching certificates are unfit to teach. Who do they think, then, is teaching kids these skills before they ever set foot in a school?

autodidact

Asked by autodidact at 12:00 AM on Aug. 1, 2009 in

• I know. Funny right? Kids were NEVER intended to learn to read before Kindergarden. Now it is a requirement in some areas. So they teach the kid the hardest thing and then send them to school???
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 12:02 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I guess they think that's what preschool is for.
    I was reading small words, counting to 150, saying my ABC's, writing my name, and had all my necessary phone numbers/addresses memorized and started kindergarten early. But I never went to preschool.
    allans_girl

Answer by allans_girl at 12:03 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• If I thought me and my youngest daughter wouldn't ram heads all day I would totally home school. My kids are in Public School and you would not believe how much of their work was sent home that I had to teach. That the teacher hadn't had time to go over yet but they were still going to be tested on to meet testing requirements! Pissed me off! My kids knew all the basics when they went into school...because I taught them :)

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 12:08 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• That's fine, I know how to read and count and tie my shoes and do basic math. But calculus, biology, physics? Nope, I took all those subjects in high school, but that was a long time ago, and while I could get a text book and curriculum I want my kids to have a teacher who does this stuff every day every year, who can explain it to them. I'm not against home schooling, though it's not for us, but I also think that people need to be aware of the work that it entails. Plus my kids are in french immersion, my 11 year old is fluent in french, my 6 year old is becoming fluent, I don't know hardly any french, I couldn't even ask for a bathroom in french. My kids would be missing out on being fully bi-lingual if I had home schooled. I think that people need to look at what's best for their children, if that's home schooling fine, but be aware of what's involved in whatever educational choice you make for your child.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:19 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• My son is fluent in Spanish and he was homeschooled. He taught himself with Rosetta Stone. If you don't want to homeschool fine. :) It is what works for you.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 12:33 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• you made the other point, Suzie, that I was going to make, which is that of of the biggest, if not the single biggest, tasks of elementary education has to be teaching the decoding process of reading.If this can be accomplished at home without teacher training then why is it people think that a conscientious and thoughtful parent wouldn't be able to compile a curriculum of sufficient breadth? teach spelling and grammar rules? cover the events of history through multiple viewpoints?

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 12:35 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Canadian, what's that got to do with the question?
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 12:37 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I agree with you, autodidact. My friends who send their kids to PS spend as much time helping with homework as I do HSing! Then there are the science projects they do at home for the science fair, the summer reading lists, projects and reports assigned over winter break and spring break that the parents have to help with.... Most parents who have high-achieving kids in PS actually HS, they just don't see it that way.

Why do people always bring up calculus when they talk about how difficult HSing is? You can HS for 10 years before having to touch calculus, and then you can hire a tutor, just like kids in public school do. Our local high school doesn't even offer higher math like Trig, and the high school math teacher has a degree in physical education! LOL
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:14 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I think people also forget how much they learned OUTSIDE of school. I have knowledge about hundreds of subjects that were never touched on in school. Whenever I'm curious about a subject, I go to the library. Knowledge and learning don't stop on the steps on the local school house. No one graduated from college with all the knowledge needed for the rest of their life.

Teaching your child how to acquire knowledge is more important than where they acquired it.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:22 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• You cannot expect the teacher and schools to do everything in the space of a school day, It is our jobs as parents to assist in the education of our children, homeschooled or not. That means helping with homework and projects. While helping with those, you are able to spend time with your children learning with them. I have learned a lot helping my son with homework and projects and I have NO problem helping him. Knowledge is a lifelong skill and needs to be nurtured in and out of school. I graduated from high school 20 years ago and we had homework and projects that we did at home. I am now taking college classes and OMG, I have to do homework, research papers and projects outside of class and each of my classes is 3 hours long.

BTW, I have not heard of any K and 1st graders that had to know how to read, add, subtract , etc. Also, a school can NOT deny an education because a Kindergartener doesn't know those things.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:27 PM on Aug. 1, 2009