How do I get my shihtzu 8 month old to stay in the yard?

we adopted this shihtzu a couple months ago. hmm. a stray..now i know why! Our cat went missing a few weeks ago and suddenly he is always escaping the yard. He doesn't listen when i call him and once even he ran out in the road and the car coming didn't make him flinch. luckily the car seen me callin for him. he didn't even look at either of us.just kept going. we have done everything we can to block him from gettin out of under the fence. We take him to the inlaws and now he is constantly gettin out of their yard too and wanders off really quick. if it wasn't for the APA and his collar we would have lost him already. i'm not sure what else to do.

batsonsgirl

Asked by batsonsgirl at 12:09 AM on Aug. 1, 2009 in Pets

• We don't have a petsmart either.

When I get a new dog, I tie them to me every waking moment that I'm there. When I'm away at work, the dog goes to a crate. One JUST big enough to let them lay down. For the shih tzu, you can get a cat crate at walmart or target for 20-30 bucks. Good investment. Will help with potty training too.

When you keep the dog tied to you when he is out of the crate, he will learn that his place is with you. Not wandering around bored, not sniffing the other side of the road, but with you. If he gets away from you, MAKE him come back to where you called for him. MAKE him sit, MAKE him stay, and tie him to you again. He will get the picture that he gets privileges, and when he doesn't respect your boundaries, they are taken away, and you go back to step one.

You CAN do this on your own. It will take time, but don't be discouraged. Little dogs generally have a big-dog complex, and feel like
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 3:11 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• You need to train him. Most dogs won't just listen or stay or not dart here and there without proper training. Look for classes in your area or go to Pet Smart. There are lots of methods you can use to get a dog not to dart off, but it takes lots of work. We've had our dog for 2 years and it took a good year and a half of training to get her not to run off. It takes time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:13 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Start training him and until you succeed, put him on a chain when you aren't watching him.
    allans_girl

Answer by allans_girl at 12:16 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• i knew this would be the answer. which frusterates me. cuz i told DH if we were gonna get a dog we need to work with him and he does nothing. just gets mad at him when he don't listen. i need help with this. i cant do it all myself! i hope there is a good place in town, cuz petsmart is over an hour away.
    batsonsgirl

Answer by batsonsgirl at 12:19 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• they can get away with anything, as long as you can't catch them. So, in essence, what you need to do is make him understand that you CAN catch him, and you WILL catch him. Make his experience away from you a scary one, assume the role as leader and protector and dictator, and you won't have any more trouble enjoying your new pet.

It took me 8 mos to potty train my last puppy to go outside. I did it on my own, but of course, my DH's support helped.

You are doing your kids a favor by having pets while they're young to teach them the responsibility of having a pet, so that when they reach adulthood, they don't have to ask so many questions. My 8 yr old sister cleans the catbox, feeds, waters, and turns out our 2 cats, 5 dogs, 2 horses, and goat without being asked or told what to do.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 3:28 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• thanks to all that posted answers! i will try my best to train him more and even tho its hard with small children in tow, it will be worth it. i took him to park and he did very well on his leash. i just got to figure out how to keep him from tryin to pee on every tree and post we walk by!
    batsonsgirl

Answer by batsonsgirl at 11:56 PM on Aug. 1, 2009