Whats the best way to find out what i truly believe in spirtually?

I think i believe in God. But sometimes i think that is just because most the people around me do. I have went to church. Sometimes we go as a family. I am confused while we are there and find it hard to believe some of the things that are said. I'm starting to wonder what it is that I don't understand or if maybe i just have different beliefs. But i don't know what that would be. I have a friend who is pagan and sometimes that makes sense to me....but I feel like i need to find out where i stand spiritually/religiously so I can have more balance. DH family pretty religious and they wished we were at church alot more. But i can't just go for them.

batsonsgirl

Asked by batsonsgirl at 12:16 AM on Aug. 1, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'll be watching for answers to this. I'm in the same boat.
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 12:19 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• i'm glad i am not the only one. i really feel lost sometimes!
    batsonsgirl

Answer by batsonsgirl at 12:21 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Check this out:
    http://www.beliefnet.com/Entertainment/Quizzes/BeliefOMatic.aspx

and try asking questions and browsing these groups:
    http://www.cafemom.com/group/96238
    and
    http://www.cafemom.com/group/103652

Both groups have sections where you can browse/ask questions of people in various beliefs.

For Christianity specific questions, you can always PM myself, cinnamon-mom, teamquinn or hinson7169 if you have questions (I'm sure more are willing to answer, I just know these particular won't mind me giving their names) :-)

Good luck!

NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:30 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I don't know what I did wrong that they didn't hyperlink :-( Try copying and pasting the links into your browser, or better yet, let me try one more time....

Belief-o-matic quiz

Religious Tolerance Group

and

Unorganized Religion Group

NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:32 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Absolutely use the beliefomatic (November's first link). It's a goofy name but it will actually give you a good place to start. It doesn't just say boom you're a This or That after you answer 3 questions, it will tell you how closely your answers match with a list of dozens of different religions so you can see what to look into in more detail.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:33 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Read the Bible. I myself, have just purchased my very first. I, like you, have been questioning, searching and doubting. Finally, I found myself ready to explore a book I hadn't ever before considered reading. The Bible I ended up getting though, is not a Bible for formal religious settings. "In short, it's written for "seekers". (It reads exactly that on the very first page.)

It is A BIBLE FOR THE SPIRITUALLY CURIOUS, the New International Version, called THE JOURNEY. It is published by Zondervan. Several features make this book "user friendly" for those trying to comprehend the Bible for the first time. There are informational notes that highlight passages of special interest to seekers such as, DISCOVERING GOD, REASONS TO BELIEVE & ADDRESSING QUESTIONS.

I truly hope this info. brings you to where you want to be. I'm on this journey too. So far, I'm glad I found my way to this particular Bible.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:48 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• LOL. So i did the belief quiz, and it said i was buddhist..lol!
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 1:14 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I took the beliefomatic quiz about a year ago or so. That was when I really started to examine what it was I believed in. But I realized that much of my life outside of church and even part of my faith was based on a lot of pagan beliefs. I celebrated a lot of pagan holidays as part of family heritage and didn't even realize what they were. So finally I realized that I was able to blend the two and feel very much at peace. But really it started with questioning and then researching what interested me most (paganism). I would just read about religions that interest you and ask questions of people both on CM and IRL and anywhere else. That's the best place to start I think. You'll come across something that feels right eventually.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 1:23 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I think instead of doing tests and trying to see what God you should worship...you need to be on your knees and ask God Himself.
    Walking the fence...sooner or later you will fall one way or the other.
    Do this test...
    Get a Bible
    Look up how many times it mentions hell and all the information it gives on it.
    Now find all the chapters and verses that Jesus tells you that He loves you and He wishes for you to follow Him.
    bloodbought

Answer by bloodbought at 1:24 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I question the bible and it's author's so i'm afraid that is not the solution for me.
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 1:47 AM on Aug. 1, 2009