6 year old still sucking her thumb

I know she's too old to be doing this, and it's bad for her teeth. It's my neice and she always does it when she's insecure about something. We keep asking her to take her thumb out, but 20 minutes later it's always back in her mouth. How can we help her to stop sucking her thumb??

ReginaGallo

Asked by ReginaGallo at 12:24 AM on Aug. 1, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• They have this nail polish at CVS, or Walgreens that makes your nail taste HORRIBLE. I had to use that on my hubby cause he was a nail biter. It's clear to.
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 12:27 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• u cant really its up to her. if u make a big deal about it she will keep doing it more. When she starts try to get things for her to do that involves both hands.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:28 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• The polish worked with my hubby. He can give speeches for work now without chewing nails. Had to use the stuff for about two weeks, but it worked.
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 12:44 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I'm soooo glad I found this question! My son(turning 6 in dec.)still sucks his thumb but only at bedtime...and I was beside myself! Thanx usdragonflies! I will try that nailpolish.
    mom4life2009

Answer by mom4life2009 at 3:23 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• My nephew is 8 and he still sucks his at night. He doesnt want anyone to know of course, but he does. His teeth look okay and I agree that its based in insecurity. Maybe instead of dealing with the thumb sucking, deal with the reasons why she does it. You said she was insecure, so maybe it would be good to help her choose a different activity when she begins feeling this way. Have her TALK about what shes feeling and use words. That might help get the emotions out. Good luck.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:46 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• my nine year old sucks her thumb at night as well as when she it tired, she only does it when she has her comfort item and everyone says to throw it away but i cant., she would die, she can not sleep without it, she could not find it once because her brother hid it and she looked and looked and looked for hours, non stop pacing and looking. so the moral of the story--- I gave up, she will quite when she is ready, she is not hurting anyone!!! Pick your battles life is too short to fight
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• we tried the nail polish stuff it is called "Thumb" It doesn't work.. at least it didn't for him. He is going to be 7 and still does but only if he is tired.. The dentist told us that he will grow out of it and to try to remind him how great it is when he isn't sucking his thumb.. reward him for NOT sucking it not getting on him or reminding him when you catch him.. It seems like that is helping.. more of the positive approach..
    akbogan

Answer by akbogan at 10:45 PM on Aug. 8, 2009