Suicide part 2

What constitutes as suicide? Is it killing one self physically or putting oneself in a situation you know will end in your demise? Such as death by cop.

rhanford

Asked by rhanford at 12:27 AM on Aug. 1, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'd have to say it's anything you do in hopes to kill yourself.

If you are put in a situation where you are sacrificing yourself for others, however I wouldn't call that suicide.
    ex. Say your a soldier, your leg is blown off, and you know that if you fellow soldiers help to pull you out, they won't make it out in time, and will die. So you stay behind to cover them to make sure they get out, because they still have a chance, while your life is iffy as it is. Even though the soldier is setting himself up to die, it's not because he "wants" to, but he's doing what he feels is best for others.

I think it boils down to the difference between "wanting" to die vs "inevitable or choosing what is best"

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:00 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I think they call is "suicide by cop" for a reason.

Gealach

Answer by Gealach at 12:42 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Do you need some help?
    You are sounding sort of strange; not what I am used too.
    That whole "make a cop or cops kill me" is horrile.
    I person chooses to end their life and causes someone else to do it for them?
    That is being a coward that cannot do what they know is wrong; so they want to drag someone else into it with them...like a cop that probably never had to use their gun before and then now has killed someone. The having to live with that.
    bloodbought

Answer by bloodbought at 1:04 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Suicide can be anything like taking your own life... like what suicide bombers do cept they think they are doing a noble thing.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:21 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• No lol I am fine I just am asking questions on people belifes/opinions lol :) Don't worry I am not going to off myself or put my self in a situation to be offed on purpose unless Sunday law is passed lol.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 1:44 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• See I have an issue with technically defining suicide. We do things daily that we know is going to hurt our bodies, such as smoke or drink. Both technically suicidal attempts albeit slow ones. So to say suicide is the attempt at ending your life before God has plans for you to leave we all do that daily by simply waking up and breathing the toxins in the air, drinking the chemically laced water in our city systems, eating the chemically altered foods offered in the grocery store. So wehn you look at it that way we are all slowly commiting suicide.
    However, it is nearly impossible to avoid those things as well. But we can quit smoking, drinking and lengthen our life. When we put the decision into the hands of another individual it means we are too cowardice to do it ourselves. My thought is if you want to die don't put the agony of causing your death on another person, such as a cop. The turmoil is lifel ong for the family.
    singedwingangel

Answer by singedwingangel at 2:47 AM on Aug. 1, 2009