So I breastfeed most of the day..But She has 1 bottle of formula a day every now an then...I got Her the new advance formula thats closer 2 breastmilk..Do I need 2 wait 2 change Her formula.??or is o.k. 2 go ahead an change them??an I will know if its not right 4 Her right away??oh..an Her other formula was soy, will that b a problem??Thank U so Much 4 Ur help..1st time Mommy here!!

Coley138

Asked by Coley138 at 1:00 AM on Aug. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My advice --- if she's tolerating the formula she's already on --- don't change it. It's hard to find the "right fit" with formulas most of the time... and if you've got a smooth thing going, don't mess with it.

That's just my opinion. I have 4 kiddoes... all were both breast & bottle fed.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 1:04 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I knw I should leave U say..but the other formula wouldnt b betta 4 Her??its suppose 2 b like breastmilk..she tends 2 spit up alot with the 1 now??
    Coley138

Answer by Coley138 at 1:31 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• If you're nursing her for most of the day, you really don't need to supplement with formula. If you are supplementing because you are concerned about your milk supply - don't worry! Your body responds to your baby's needs by making milk based on how much they nurse. By supplementing, you're telling your body NOT to make that amount, but if you stop and let your baby increase your supply (by nursing more often or for longer) your body will catch up. If you are supplementing because you are concerned about "making sure your baby gets enough nutrients" - don't worry! Breast milk is the complete package for baby, and is better absorbed than formula. Let me know if you want to talk about breastfeeding - it's a passion of mine and I love helping new Moms. :) My fave resource is www.kellymom.com
    MamaSueCongdon

Answer by MamaSueCongdon at 2:39 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• No formula is like breastmilk. It's a marketing ploy.

You can TRY changing if you really want ot use formula. It is formula roulette...keep trying till you find something that works. You might find that ALL formulas have the same effect. But please be aware that formula given when you're with the baby can seriously undermine your supply.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:40 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Oh, and just FYI - I supplemented with formula for the first three weeks "just in case" until I met with a super helpful lactation consultant who explained that it's not necessary. :) So I'm not just one of those "breastfeeding nazi" ladies. In case you were worried. :D
    MamaSueCongdon

Answer by MamaSueCongdon at 2:40 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• No formula is anything like breast milk. You're way better off just using breast milk and cutting out the formula. There's no need or benefit from it. Pump here and there to have extra milk for bottle feeding.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 3:08 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• You can change the formula at any time but if your little one is doing well with the one they are on then you shouldnt change it. The change could make their tummy hurt and they might not like another type. My son drinks the Similac Neosure. I had to give him that because my brest milk didnt have the nutrients that he needed being premature. And i wasnt producing much at all and it wasnt going up in supply. But the formula change is what my doctor told be because i was going to change the one my son is on because it makes him constipated because there is extra iron.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 4:11 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Formula is nothing like breast milk. It's a common misconception. The nutrients in your BM are custom made for your baby. If your baby isn't getting enough of a certain nutrient, her saliva will signal production of that specific nutrient, and your breasts will "cook" up some more for the next nursing session. Pretty cool, huh? But formula is one size fits all. The new stuff you have is no better than the stuff you're already giving.

If you must supplement, use what she's already tolerating. Switching could prove to be bothersome on her tummy.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 10:57 AM on Aug. 1, 2009