my son is turning 5 ....in 6 weeks he should be talking perfectly right?

He can talk but not clear as a bell...also he needs to be instructed as too what too say next in a converstaion. He mixes up alot of words with his thoughts. he can't say his "R's" so red is bread. I took him to the school speech thrapist, she spent 10 minutes with him and a book and she said nothing was wrong!! My son is outgoing and when I take him to the park he wants too play...the other kids run from him because he doesn't make sense. I am heartsick about this and that he will be rejected and picked on in grade school.

wheresthewayout

Asked by wheresthewayout at 1:09 AM on Aug. 1, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• THe school speech therapist is not the one that does the eval in general. If you are worried talk to your ped. and hav ehim refer you to someone.
    BTW, academic evaluations and outside evaluations are not necessarily the same thing. In academics you can be very limited (esp. with budgets) b/c they are looking at how it affects academically in outside evals they can be more holistic.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:13 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I don't think when he turns five he'll just automatically start talking clearly. Have you taken him anywhere else? Like to his pediatrician? They'll probably give you the name of someone who's more qualified in that area.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 1:14 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I agree.

You need to speak to your pediatrician.

Gealach

Answer by Gealach at 1:15 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Have another eval done at the school and one every year as needed. I would also encourage you to have his eyes checked... as odd as that sounds some learning challenge can be vision related... ask you eye dr to do a field test... this could let you know that he has trouble connecting the two sides of the brain together... speach could be just a side effect of a proccessing issue...here in Mo, you can get an IEP or a 504 for your child to get class modifications as needed ... you can also ask your school to do a full evaluation on him, this will include some developmental testing to help pin point any issue he might have, you then can be pro active in services ... my child has had speech and will start school this year not needing it any more... good luck and stay on it... if someone tells you don't worry and you do... go with your mother instinct... it's the right one....
    BlessingsBegin

Answer by BlessingsBegin at 1:28 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• The doctor said he was 6 months behind and wasn't worried and that he will catch up.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:32 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• A lot of this stuff still needs to be outgrown.

I just watched a video of my son's fourth Christmas. He still talked like Elmer Fudd then. But he outgrew it with no interventions.

He *did* get speech therapy for a lisp last year.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:38 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I agree with talking to your pedi ...the school therapists are not good!! They always say nothing is wrong just like they told me my kiddo didn't need glasses (you know how they do eye exams in some schools) but she's been wearing them 5 years now!! A 10 minute eval is NOTHING. My daughter had a speech eval at age 3 and it was almost 2 hours long with PROFESSIONALS! Your pediatrician can give you a referral for somewhere better! Even if the doctor says "he's fine" still get a refferal. They can't deny you from seeing specialists.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:00 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• My son isnt as old as yours, but he is about 6 mos behind too and his doc said he would catch up. I think that if you want him to do some speech therapy, which wouldnt hurt at all, then he can do it through the school during school hours. MANY children go to speech therapy while at school. My husband did when he was in the 1st and 2nd grades because he mixed up his r's amd w's. So rabbit sounded like wabbit. That is the last sound a child develops so sometimes it can be later that you notice them getting it right. Speech does work itself out usually as they grow, so its basically up to you as to whether or not you want to wait it out, or have him go while at school..Good luck.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:43 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• A lot of little boys that age (and even older) don't speak clearly...I can't even begin to explain what it sounds like. Few 5 year olds speak "clear as a bell". However, you should work with him on improving his speech. Practice the words/sounds he has trouble with, have him speak up, over enunciate for him and have him do the same.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• You might also want to get his hearing checked.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Aug. 1, 2009