What Do You Wish You'd Known?

This is a post for all moms to list things they wish someone had told them before giving birth. This is for the benefit of all first time moms-to-be. Now . . . go!
I wish someone had told me that I was gonna end up crapping in front of half a dozen people.

allans_girl

Asked by allans_girl at 2:01 AM on Aug. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thank you for posting this!
    Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 2:02 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• You got a point there!!! Nobody is telling you about sh.... while pushing the baby out.

I wish somebody would have told me that if you go too late to the hospital they won't give you an epidural or spinal...

I wish somebody would have told me that breastfeeding would be painful for the first few days or weeks (but I was still nursing my daughter for 10 months)
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 2:04 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I wish somebody had told me I was gonna be bleeding like crazy afterwards. I seriously had no idea that happened especially since I ended up having a C-section! I was freaking out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:05 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I wish someone told me how bad the contractions were going to hurt.

And i wish i got more info from my doc about a c-section because i had to have an emergency one done.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 2:06 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I wish someone told me that if you feel like you need to take a huge crap and it really painful it's actually a contraction, wasn't expecting that feeling.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:13 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Another one: Everybody told me that contractions are really bad and hurt alot. Mine didn't really hurt. I was at home chilling the whole time... then it started hurting really bad, I just made it to the hospital... my daughter was born 10 minutes later! So basically everybody told me contractions are really painful. But they weren't for me.
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 3:21 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I wish I had seen the true value of planning a homebirth the first time. I wish I had known how much I really didn't know about the birth practices in the US. I wish I had someone tell me that a homebirth was actually an option, and that it is safe.
    squish

Answer by squish at 5:14 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Anything else, ladies?
    allans_girl

Answer by allans_girl at 9:00 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• "I wish somebody had told me I was gonna be bleeding like crazy afterwards. I seriously had no idea that happened especially since I ended up having a C-section! I was freaking out."

I couldn't agree more! I stood up out of bed the first time and panicked! Lol my husband wasn't in the room, but walked into the trail of blood to the bathroom and panicked too.
    Skye-Angel

Answer by Skye-Angel at 10:41 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• i wish someone had told me before my first birth that birth DOES NOT hurt and that it is beautiful and natural and you do not need the hospital OR medication!

my first birth was with an epi, and my second was a totally natural birth center birth (where i almost had her in the parking lot) and it was wonderful and there was no pain and i didnt tear, i even showered less then an hour after i had her.
    lilmama224

Answer by lilmama224 at 12:48 PM on Aug. 1, 2009