What diet drinks are out there that DO NOT use aspartame?

Ive recently been diagnosed with pre-existing diabetes because my A1c number was high, not my blood sugar.

I just dropped diet soda because of the aspartame toxic levels have caused me arthritis and other problems, but now I have to go back to diet, but I refuse to drink aspartame.

Can anyone help?

tsjpop

Asked by tsjpop at 2:04 AM on Aug. 1, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Diet Rite (In the 1990s, several fruit-flavored varieties of Diet Rite were introduced. In 2000, the line was reformulated yet again, this time to replace aspartame with Splenda brand sucralose and Sunett brand Acesulfame potassium. It became the first major diet soda in the United States to use neither aspartame nor saccharin as a sweetener. In 2005, "Pure Zero" was added to the name, and a cherry cola flavor was introduced in 2006.)
    .Diet coke has a "splenda" version although its hard to find now, it wasnt very popular and may have stopped altogether. Jones soda makes a "sugar free" version that uses splenda type artificial sweetners instead of Aspartame.
    LuminousMom

Answer by LuminousMom at 5:04 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• check the labels, some products advertise "sweeted with splenda" on the label

otherwise just look for ones without aspartame or go to google and find a list
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:07 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• None are safe! Some use splenda, but don't drink them! Make your own.... Choose a caffine free tea... like chamomile... or green tea (if you're not pregnant or breastfeeding as where green tea can actually deplete your folic acid, causing birthdefects if you're pregnant)

Make a big pot and sweeten it with honey (honey is actually better for you than sugar, but higher in calories, so if you don't want that use a sweetener made from the stevia plant)

The only safe "artificial" sweetener is not artificial at all... Stevia Leaf sweetener is the only safe one, because it's made from an actual herb.... try new stevia or truvia.... tastes great and won't give you IBS like splenda or Cancer like aspartame!
    marchma2b

Answer by marchma2b at 12:29 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• NONE are safe. I drink no diet soda and but nothing that has any artifical sweetner is them. Instead of soda, drink water and unsweetened tea. There are many diseases and disorders that are aggravated by artfical sweetners, including MS. My doctor even told me that if I was going to drink soda, to drink regular and in moderation.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:47 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I'm diabetic too. I stick to water or decaf iced tea to drink. I refuse to use any artificial sweetener. Use stevia if you have to sweeten a drink OR try a spritzer: a tiny bit of fruit juice or squeeze of lemon/lime with club soda or ice water.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 1:12 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• coke zero is made with stevia; if it wasnt' for the carmel color i would drink it every day.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:21 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Water, and homemade juices and teas. Even unsweetened juice purchased from the store has a higher sugar content than homemade juice. The way that it is processed releases so many more of the natural sugars. At home you can completely control the amount of sugar going in and not have to process it.

And stevia is a great sweetener, but not to be consumed in excess (ie add it to a cup or two of coffee, but you should not be drinking 8 drinks made with it every day).
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 8:56 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Me and my kids drink a lot of Stevia lemonade. Be sure to buy pure Stevia, it is ten dollars for a teeny bottle at Trader Joe's, but cheaper if you buy it in bulk at a coop.
    We make hot chocolate with it, too.
    and there is Xylitol, that is natural too, and keeps your teeth very healthy. You won't get cavities.
    Lovey1234

Answer by Lovey1234 at 9:39 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• water
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:13 PM on Aug. 6, 2009