• In the Spotlight:

Is XYLITOL safer than ASPARTAME?

My favorite gum has XYLITOL,I love it so much,to stop my cravings,even if it's bad I doubt I'll stop chewing it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:15 AM on Aug. 1, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Xylitol, Maltitol, Sorbitol, Isomalt, Lactitol, Mannitol and Erythritol are sugar alcohols derived from sucrose and other natural sugars. They provide a sweet taste but aren't completely absorbed in the digestive system like regular sugar is and can give a person gas and some intestinal distress if eaten in excess. They are natural sweeteners when compared to Aspartame or Splenda. Many sugar free or low carb foods (not necessarily drinks) contain sugar alcohols.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 1:09 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• The only safe "artificial" sweetener is not artificial at all... Stevia Leaf sweetener is the only safe one, because it's made from an actual herb.... try new stevia or truvia.... tastes great and won't give you IBS like splenda or Cancer like aspartame!
    marchma2b

Answer by marchma2b at 12:24 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Yeah, I read that XYLITOL is a natural sweetner almost similar to STEVIA but STEVIA sounds more natural because of it's name,XYLITOL sounds artificial.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:28 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Because there's other artificial sweeteners out there that sound like it,like MALITOL,or something.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:37 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I agree with using Stevia. In the summer I barely drink coffee so I use sugar, but in the winter when I peak at 2-3 cups of coffee, I always use stevia. My mom actually grew some in her garden this year so we could harvest it and use it in the winter :~)
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 8:52 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Kinda off the subject,but do you think TRUVIA is a take off of STEVIA,they sound the same, and what do you know about TRUVIA?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Truvia is a Stevia product marketed by Coco Cola.
    Purevia is Pepsi's version.
    Stevia is a natural plant. Truvia and Purevia are brand names.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:53 PM on Aug. 2, 2009