How can I get my 5-year-old dog to go potty in my yard?

My older dog is INSANELY bad ab going potty in our yard. I have to take him for a walk to get him to poop at all, and if we don't go for a walk that day he holds it in. He has held it in for 3-4 days before!! For him to pee I have to walk him around the yard for 10 minutes while he sniffs around. He was a rescue, so I never trained him to be this way, I cannot leave him on a chain in this county (it's against the law for some reason), I have to walk him on a leash in the yard. If I don't do it his way, he goes potty in the house! :( PLEASE HELP!!

Please tell me what I can do to deter this behavior, esp now that we have rescued a puppy and we are potty-training her.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:21 AM on Aug. 1, 2009 in Pets

• he may be shy about going to the bathroom outside. when he goes in the house, is it in front of you or while you are in another room? try getting a longer leash and walking him in a secluded place where he can hide to do his business. try taking his feces and putting it out in the yard in a secluded place and walking him in that area so that he may learn that's where he's supposed to go. if he doesn't go outside, keep an eye on him when you come back in and when he shows that he's about to poop on the floor, IMMEDIATELY leash him back up and take him outside. if all else fails, call a dog trainer/behaviorist. good luck!
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 4:20 PM on Aug. 1, 2009