Have you ever been fired for missing one day of work as a no call no show by mistake?

I don't know how I did this but I honestly thought I did not work today. I lost my cell phone 2 weeks ago I didn't order a new one as I thought it would show up. I did not go to work today because I honestly did not realize I was supposed to, I misread my schedule and they fired me for a no call no show. I have never missed a day of work for the year and a half that I have worked here. I didn't even know I was fired until tonight. Again, I lost my cell phone and didn't get the calls from work when I missed my shift. I am at a loss. Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:25 AM on Aug. 1, 2009 in Money & Work

• It all depends on the rules at your workplace. Usually it takes more than one no-show to count as abandonment of job. But if you've had ANY other problems then this might have been the final straw. And if you're working in at at-will state, they can fire you for no reason at all.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:26 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I have not had any write ups or anything of that nature. This was my first time ever doing something so stupid. And yes, I am in a at-will state. Should I file for unemployment? I did not abandon my job on purpose. I am at a loss here. I want to cry but the tears wont come out..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:31 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Nope. I never did that. When I was in management, it was the worst thing someone could do. There are ways to avoid that happening. At my place, it was grounds for firing.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:06 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I came close to that... but I KNEW I had to work. I was actually telling this story the night before last.

I worked for a gas station part time in the evenings as a second job. Saturdays I had to work 2-10pm. I was riding a colt that morning, and he bolted and I fell and dislocated my shoulder. Which wasn't a big deal, my shoulder falls out of place all the time. My mom pitched a fit and sent me to get an XRay. It was 11am, and I called to let them know I was going to get the XRay and that I would hurry my best. All systems were a-go, my supervisor said it was OK. I got the XRay and got put back in place, and went straight to work. It was 2:08 when I clocked in. Getting my drawer ready and checking the lotto ticket numbers, I took a peek at the schedule to see what evenings I had off, and I wasn't on the schedule at all!

con't below:
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 2:26 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I asked my boss about it, and she said, "Maybe if you spent a little more time being concerned about having your job instead of breaking your arms riding horses, you would still be on the schedule."
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 2:27 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• there probably isn't anything you can do (other than looking for a new job).
    i was put on final warning at work because i messed up my schedule and thought i closed instead of opening. my cell wasn't working that day so i'm not sure if they tried to call me or not but the store was opened at 11 instead of 10 by the other manager. it's an automatic final warning if the store is opened late (basically i could get there at 9:59 even if i'm scheduled at 9 so long as the store is open at 10...) final warning is 90 days at my job and i'm so glad that it's over now! i wasn't allowed to call off or be late or anything that whole time (luckily i never call off).
    WesAndNicksMom

Answer by WesAndNicksMom at 5:35 PM on Aug. 1, 2009