Have you ever been fired for missing one day of work as a no call no show by mistake?

I don't know how I did this but I honestly thought I did not work today. I lost my cell phone 2 weeks ago I didn't order a new one as I thought it would show up. I did not go to work today because I honestly did not realize I was supposed to, I misread my schedule and they fired me for a no call no show. I have never missed a day of work for the year and a half that I have worked here. I didn't even know I was fired until tonight. Again, I lost my cell phone and didn't get the calls from work when I missed my shift. I am at a loss. Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:25 AM on Aug. 1, 2009 in Just for Fun

• OMG! I am so sorry, I would soooo talk to your boss. Make an appointment with them and explain what happened. Ask them to look at your attendance record and work history.
    Mamasita98

Answer by Mamasita98 at 2:47 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• That's awful and I'm sorry you are dealing with this. I worked in retail management for quite a while and I never fired anyone for 1 no call no show, not even when there were other problems with the employee as well. I can see where they would be very upset depending on the size of the store, number of employees working, or their ability to cover your shift but firing you the first time is a little extreme. How long have you worked there? I would try to schedule a meeting with the manager who was responsible for your being fired as well as the store manager if they are two different people and fully explain you situation. Ask to be put on a probationary period if neccesary. Good luck and I hope everything works out for you!
    nattabugsmommy

Answer by nattabugsmommy at 2:48 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I did call the store manager and while she wasn't really rude she told me I was fired for a no call now show. I haven't missed one day until today and that was by mistake. I have worked for the company a year and a half. I know my store manager doesn't like me, mainly because she is a witch and there was a time she got into trouble for talking to me the way she does. But I do my job to the best of my ablility, I am a manager as well. I don't know what to do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:21 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I got fired and I was early every day and worked my butt off. I walked in one day and someone else was working my shift. The boss wouldn't return my calls even to give me a reason. And I was 8 months pregnant. And had just went and spent like $500 on baby stuff. (I was waitressing, so it's hard to save a lot because I relied on going to work everyday and getting cash.) Anyways, don't feel bad. It could always be worse.
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 5:21 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I would try to talk to your supervisor's boss or the HR department. You should also try to get an employee handbook and make sure that 1 no call/no show= termination. If it doesn't I woulfd fight it, through HR. I too worked in retail management for years and can't remember a single company that would fire you for just one. Usually it was 2 or 3. But if she doesn't like you are you sure you want to work for her? You might want to try for a different location. Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:51 PM on Aug. 1, 2009