Swine Flu

I am obsessed with catching the swine flu. (or trying not to catch it)
Is anyone else this scared? A nurse in my town just died from it. I am scared sick that my family is going to catch it and possibly die!! Is anyone else scared too? I feel like I have become a TOTAL homebody.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:30 AM on Aug. 1, 2009 in Health

• I'm not personally scared, but my daughter's starting kindergarten this year and it's like, "How am I supposed to protect her?" She's 4. I can't be there every secong telling her to stay away from the snot nosed coughing kids or to squirt sanitizer every time she touches something.

We went to her doc a couple months ago. Right after the hype calmed down. There was a little girl who didn't speak english that came in the waiting room. I tried politely keeping mine away, but she listens soo well. This girl was following her around and then because they didn't understand the language gap, they were talking in each other's face. The girl kept coughing right in my daughter's mouth! Sooo gross!!!!! And the parents saw me trying to seperate them and heard me say I thought MY daughter had the chicken pox! Of course they didn't do anything.

Gatta Love It. All I can do is watch her and act quickly if I notice symptoms.
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 5:16 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• ...no... unless you are pregnant or exposed to it on a regular basis (like a nurse would be) I would say you are probably pretty safe. Obviously we all should be cautious to wash our hands and avoid people who are sick, but... as they have said again and again, its nothing to panic about.

This has alot of really great info... specifically.. how to avoid getting SF and what kills it (household cleaners, soap and water..) http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/qa.htm

LuminousMom

Answer by LuminousMom at 5:16 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• If it makes you feel a little better, my friend did catch it. She was very sick for a couple weeks (like a typical flu). She was treated just like you would be treated for the flu, and now she's fine.
    Jannelle1401

Answer by Jannelle1401 at 6:21 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• like its been said above, its really not as stressful as the news made it see in the beginning. its treated like the regul\ar flu. in fact less people have been killed by this version of the flu, than the normal flu every year. and i also was told by a medical professional is that you have more to worry about from west nile than swine flu. i've noticed lately there's about to be a vaccine released. if you ask me it was a big hype so now ppl will rush to get this shot when the majority of us will never have this flu. i dont usually get the normal flu, and i've never had a flu shot. its a way to sell more prescriptions in my opinion. but i'll stop ramblilng haha
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 8:41 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Well Wi. has the most Cases to date! I have no clue why. I know my Teen Step son & his Siblings had it! They're Fine now! I bet other have had it and never knew it! I guess I'd Say if you take good Care. Eat Well, take good Vitamins/supplements if needed. Are in sound Health you're better off. Keep good hand washing Skills! You can't live in A glass bubble and Worry over Everything! Read up on it if you're Scared and follow the advice! Take Care! Be Well!!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 1:30 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• It is the frickin' flu!!!

My daughter had (probable) H1N1 a few weeks ago. It is truly no worse than a typical winter virus. Doctors are no longer testing for it, as it is so widespread. They are only prescribing the anti-viral meds for high risk patients, as the risk of serious side effects outweigh the (relatively) mild flu symptons.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:08 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Yes I am scared too. My mother lives with me, she is 72 and has COPD which is a lung condition and other health problems. She was hospitalized in March with phemonia and was in the ICU, which really tramatized me. I have never been in an ICU before and just the thought of her catching this scares the hell out of me. I have 2 kids too and I have anxiety issues and am a germaphobic anyway. I dont like being around ppl that have sickness of any kind. I know its weird but Im trying to cope with it and try to get rid of being like this. I hate paranoia!! LOL
    bstormsfl

Answer by bstormsfl at 2:10 AM on Aug. 2, 2009