Does being depressed cause harm to a fetus ?

During my last pregnancy I suffered from Post partum depression. I believe I am suffering from some type of depression now . I am a diabetic . My pregnancy is a high risk one and I am carrying twins in my 28th week !

I do not want to bathe, cry constantly and have diffuclties with daily chores although they get done . I am scared because I know there is something wrong with me . The father of my twins has just removed himself from our lives ! I also believe that something to do with it . '

Please give me some advice / suggestions !

Debbie09

Asked by Debbie09 at 4:41 AM on Aug. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• OMG! I am soo sorry. Yu shouldn't be going through this alone especially with twins and everything. To answer your question I do not think that being depressed can literally harm the fetuses (sp?)but you need to make sure you are taking care of yourself. I would talk to your doctor about it just in case. Again I am sorry all this is happening to you. Good luck sweetie. I am praying for you.
    Bamzakarat

Answer by Bamzakarat at 4:44 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• no just take it easy and try to relax rbc.org Our Daily Bread
    Jesus loves you!
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 5:05 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I do not think being depressed can harm the fetus but I do think you should talk to your dr! I'm sooo sorry you have to go through this! But things will look up!!! GL Hun! If you need to vent you can msg me! I do not understand having twins, having the dad leave, being diabetic or having a high risk pregnancy, but I do understand depression!!!! Sometimes it helps just to vent your feelings!! And you are very strong and a good mother!!! I hope you feel better soon!!!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 5:11 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• intouch.org listen now to Charles Stanley
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 5:16 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I had a very stressful first pregnancy and I I was depressed and in a state of crisis because the father was not around, no family support, and I was very overwhelmed. I don't know if you can take any meds right now but You should address it with your doctor right away. Staying busy helps but you can't do that 24-7.
    chocaholic888

Answer by chocaholic888 at 5:37 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• if you are not eating well and taking your vitamins and maintaining doctor appiontments may have negative effects on your twins. Talk to your doctor about this, I have heard of medications that are safe while preggo. Good luck honey
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 8:39 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• First off, pray, pray & then pray again.... pray in a personal manner with God. He hears and He answers. Man will fail yu so DONT depend or man or woman - depend on GOD. Get yourself to a peaceful place, meditate on the great things in your life & know that All things work together for the good. STOP RIGHT NOW, LOOKING AT THE BAD - JUST STOP IT. And trust GOD, I dont care how the wind blows (how crazy it may feel) just pratice removing that feeling away. I am not saying just be overly strong, I am saying rely on a higher source and pick yourself up. Your children also need you. You are living for other people now (your children). If you have to go cry in a room alone without them do that but give yourself just 5 minutes of pity time and then SNAP your way out. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!! It is pratice. Try it and then keep on trying it - IT WORKS Honey. Do something you have not done to get something you have never had.
    believeongod

Answer by believeongod at 8:50 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Tell your doctor what you are experiencing so that he/she is aware and will give special/necessary treatment to your matter. Also, don't blame yourself for him leaving. Talk to him if you can & if not then just continue to rely on God and watch it will be ok
    believeongod

Answer by believeongod at 8:52 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Some studies suggest that depression during pregnancy can cause slowed development after the baby is born, but there is no solid proof.
    Talk to your doctor; maybe you can get some kind of treatment.
    allans_girl

Answer by allans_girl at 9:18 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• believeongod is right. Prayer can really help. If you put everything on God, you will feel a lot better. Yes, I know - easier said than done.
    allans_girl