what do you suggest to me that my 5 yera old daughter doesnot want to go to summer school

Ileen74

Asked by Ileen74 at 6:54 AM on Aug. 1, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• If your 5 year old is to start regular school this fall, I would encourage her to go to summer school to: make new freinds, get started like she has to go, make it a fun idea... if she still doen't want to go you need to set the rest of her summer up as if she is at school... give her an up time just like if she went to school, class time as if she were at school, play time like school.... her not wanting to go now could cause you alot of issues when she must go to school like everyone else... not an option to "not go" ... if she knows that she will have the same schedule at home or at summer school you stand a better chance of getting her to summer school.. you could tell her that after a week or two (set up a calendar for her to mark off) that is she doesn't like it she doesn't have to go now but will have to go when she is of age... good luck this is such a hard step for little ones....
    BlessingsBegin

Answer by BlessingsBegin at 7:40 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• What she want and what she is going to do is two different things. Tell her she is going to do it weather she likes it or not. Of corse say it in a nice way.

Answer by louise2 at 8:21 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Is there a reason as to WHY she needs to go to summer school? Shes five, not fifteen. She cant be far enough behind in school to need summer school. No child wants to go to summer school and I wouldnt make them unless.....they had failed a certain subject and needed to make it up, were struggling with a certain subject and needed extra help to prepare for the new semester to keep from being behind, or the child wanted to go for extra credit. None of my children qualify for that. They are 15, 11, and 7 and their summer is playtime. They might read a little but I let them have the entire summer off. They can sleep as late as they want, they can do what they want, but come August 12th, its back to our strict routine. We are firm about bedtimes, grades, chores and its a solid routine with no breaks for 9 mos (other than cmas).
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:39 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I am thinking that it isn't the routine or giving up free play so much as it is a new experience for her. I agree that it would be good for her to go so that when she needs to go in the Fall that it isn't so new, she'll be much more comfortable. If the school is just a half day especially, since she'll be home the rest of the time. It would be a good idea to get her use to the idea that going to school is a part of life. If the summer school was all day of work and no play, then that doesn't sound right, but if it is age appropriate and involves learning games, especially if only for half a day, then it would be good for her to be among the other children and learn about structure in her day. I'd tell it's time for school and take her.

Answer by Bmat at 8:50 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• There are experts that believe 5 is too young to go to school and that children aren't ready for school until they are 7. That's why in many states school is not mandatory until age 7. If you aren't using school as free day care then keep her home.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 9:40 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Some kids just like being at home and don't want to leave mom.  They are afraid what they might be missing at home.  Let her know you will be cleaning the house (boring) so that when she comes home you will be ready to play a game with her (and do it) so she has something to look forward to  when she gets home.  Read her books about going to school http://astore.amazon.com/wwwcjkidzcom3-20?%5Fencoding=UTF8&node=41  and talk about it to help prepare her.  Let her arrive early so she is not overwhelmed by the kids when she walks into the room.  Have her meet the teacher in advance.

momjs

Answer by momjs at 1:22 PM on Aug. 1, 2009