Have you ever used a snake trap before?

We have a black snake that has been hanging out around our house for a few months. I know they are harmless and keep rodents away and all that wonderful stuff, but I'm petrified of snakes and will not go in my own yard at this point for fear of running into the snake. So, my sanity comes before the rights of a harmless snake. I've done some research trying to find some way to get rid of him short of sending my DH after him with a shovel, lol. Snake traps are the only thing I've found that we can afford. What are your experiences with them if you've used them? And no bashing please, our plan is to release the snake, unharmed, a long way away from our house :o)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:09 AM on Aug. 1, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Get a cat. That way, it's just nature.
    My mom can't stand snakes so she's always let me and my sisters have as many cats as we wanted. Growing up, I only saw 2 snakes on our entire block. One was dead and the other was in the process of being killed by Blackie.
    allans_girl

Answer by allans_girl at 9:10 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Or, if you really want to keep the snake alive, give a neighborhood kid $10 to catch it.
    allans_girl

Answer by allans_girl at 9:16 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Sorry, I hate snakes too!! I would just use the shovel! LOL I had no luck with the snake trap we got at Home Depot, but I did have luck with my hoe! We had a giant black snake too, he is gone and the chimpmunks are back! Good luck.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:36 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I would totally get a cat but we don't have a huge yard, it's not fenced, and we live close to a busy street. It's not at all conducive to having an outdoor cat.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• You could get a housecat and let it outside while you're there with it. The smell of the cat alone will deter rodents and snakes.
    allans_girl

Answer by allans_girl at 10:41 AM on Aug. 1, 2009