Does anyone else feel like me?

I'm retired, kind of young at 55, parents are deceased, husband won't travel, trying to join things so I can keep busy and volunteering, but it's still not enough. Kids are 21 and 25 and too busy for mom and I'm lonely! Everyone else seems so busy and has so much to do and I have nothing! I read and scrapbook and mentor a 12 yr old girl in Big Brothers and Big Sisters, and yet need more. HELP! Any suggestions for me. There must be others who feel the same. I appreciate your answers!

buttonskc

Asked by buttonskc at 9:55 AM on Aug. 1, 2009 in Relationships

• you ever thought of volunteering to be a girlscout troop leader? i know where i live there is never enough volunteers...that way you can have something to do, and even on nights where there are no meetings there is plenty of things for you to plan!
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 9:59 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I volunteer one day a week at a local retirement home. It's very good for me. There are many residents who don't have family and seldom have visitors. You can go on day trips with them. You can take them shopping or to doctor's appointments and do all kinds of other things. You will feel like you are really doing things for people who appreciate your efforts because they genuinely do. All you have to do is ask an administrator who needs help and what you can do, and you will be busier than you can imagine.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:00 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Thanks for your answers. For 11 years I was a Girl Scout leader and the school organizer for my daughter and her troop, but that was a wonderful time of my life.

The nursing home sounds like a great idea. I'm an Eucharistic minister at a local nursing home, so I could easily get in there.
    Guess, I'm just feeling sorry for myself. Thanks for the help. I've thought of forming a woman's group to discuss books, craft, do service projects, etc. And I love to travel. Do lots of park district trips and Lifelong Learning classes, so I am trying. It's just that often I find myself wanting to do something and no one wants to do anything. I need more friends, I guess.
    buttonskc

Answer by buttonskc at 10:05 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Get a horse.. ! lol... that'll keep you busy !
    Or.. look into being a volunteer 'grandparent' at a local elementary school.. even a homework helper for a few students after school if your local district has such a program. Many kids need that extra time from an adult, since mom and dad are often too busy.
    Or.. check out what your local church has going on.. some have groups that get together. Spend time at a local animal shelter, take some art classes, see if a local museum needs any guides, .... Time to take up a hobby or interest that gets you out with adults, I think...
    Fayanne

Answer by Fayanne at 10:17 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I'm 52, single, and disabled and know that feeling. I live with my 21 year old son but he has his own life. Because I have mobility problems and never know how I am going to feel I don't want to volunteer. I foster kitties for a rescue organization.

GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 10:23 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Thanks Gail! I know there has to be others who feel as we do. There ARE so many things to do in this world and I need to add even more to my life.

Thanks all for the great answers!
    buttonskc

Answer by buttonskc at 10:31 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• tell ur kids to hurry up and give u some granchildren.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I know right! Especially the 25yr old.....well, soon I hope!!!
    buttonskc

Answer by buttonskc at 11:39 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Look into being a 'cuddler' at your nearest NICU. We had these great people who came in for a few classes and then would come to the NICU and hold the babies who didnt get held much, these people were such a blessing to so many families who just couldnt be there. Also you can take up making beanies for micropreemies or blankets for them.

You could also volunteer at a senior citizen home.
    Mom2SKMB

Answer by Mom2SKMB at 11:58 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• If you old enough try to red hat society they always seem to be haveing fun
    newmom183

Answer by newmom183 at 1:01 PM on Aug. 1, 2009