Can some one explain?

ok so I'm a bit confuse about how school works my son who will be 3 this November will be starting preschool full time 8am to 2 pm 5 days a week.. but my real question is how does the schooling go after preschool is it headstard pre- k and then kinder garden or is it preschool, pre- k and then kinder? I'm confused can some one who knows will tell me how it goes.. thank u and for those of u that would ask why is my son going to preschool when he doesn't really need it is because he takes speech therapy and it only goes up to the age of 3 after they turn 3 they have to continue the program in preschool if they feel he still needs the help..thank you again..

curls_tampa

Asked by curls_tampa at 10:21 AM on Aug. 1, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My oldest went to nursery school then preK and is starting kindergarten in the Fall.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• My daughter went to pre k from 8 to 3 and is starting kindergarten next week :)
    lizzysmom83

Answer by lizzysmom83 at 10:28 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• My son went to speech therapy at Ball State University, the best speech therapy program in the country. They decided to try a pre-school type approach. I didn't want to do it but decided to give it a try. It was free.

It was a bust. One of the worst things that happened is the kids started having each other's speech problems. Think about it, does it make sence to put a young child with language problems that is still learning language in a room with other kids with speech and language problems? The program lasted less than one semester.

There has to be more than one place to get speech therapy.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 10:30 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• "There has to be more than one place to get speech therapy."

If it's like my son's school there's only one place to get it free. It was a normal preschool, there was only one child who got speech therapy in the class, the speech therapist just worked through and with the school.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• yes he will be going to a regular elementary school and the way it works here is that he will be taken out of his class room into a different room they have set up and will be given therapy their and no the program that I am in has not given me any other choices other than taking him to preschool which i am totally fine with and don't have a problem with it I was just wanting to know after preschool what does he moves on to..
    curls_tampa

Answer by curls_tampa at 10:42 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• It can depend where you live, but usually its preschool 3-5 and then in kindergarden at 5... if they feel his language is delayed enough he can do pre-k at 5 and kindergarden at 6, but if he's caught up with his peers then its typically just preschool then kindergarden. Some places don't even have pre-k, and in others pre-k is mandatory before kindergarden to get children ready for the idea of all day schooling, so like I said it really depends on where you live and your school district. I would ask his preschool teacher she would know better then anyone here.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 1:01 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• My daughter goes to a special ed preschool through the district and she keeps going to preschool until she is ready to move up to kindergarten. So she started as soon as she turned three (last feb) and will go this school year and next school year and then should start kindergarten when she is five and a half, but some kids will stay in longer if they need to. The children that go to my daughter's school have different delays and are pulled out for different specialties, my little one is pretty much caught up in speech but still significantly behind in fine and gross motor skills, so she receives PT and OT. Children are also placed in with typical developing peers, and many of the other children just have behavioral issues, and speak and jump and color just fine. I can see where a school of all speech delayed kids could fail, but normal developmental preschools are very beneficial.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 3:00 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Pre-K 3
    Pre-K 4 (or VPK or headstart prek etc. -- whatever it may be in your area/situation)
    Kindergarten (at 5)
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 10:01 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• It sounds like this is how your system is set up. Your child will attend a preschool program for 2 year olds and receive speech therapy services while at school. Then once he turns 3 he would go into the next preschool setting which is for 3 year olds. This program could be considered a Head Start or universal pre-k. The only real difference tends to be income based. Head Start students qualify based on family income, Universal pre-k is the same but not for those with lower incomes. Some classrooms in my county have Head Start, pre-k and special education students all together in one class.
    Even if your son did not have a speech delay, going to preschool really helps kids be prepared for Kindergarten which has gotten so much more difficult and the expectations are so high. Since he does have some speech delays, being in the classroom and receiving therapy is WONDERFUL! He will learn how to correct his speech (cont)
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 8:55 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• in 1 to 1 therapy sessions, but then in the classroom if there are typically developing children, he will hear their speech models and put them both together to help him correct his speech much quicker. He also will learn so many social skills, self help skills, and how to follow a classroom routine and rules.
    Once he turns 5, he will be tested again to determine if he needs to continue his speech therapy in kindergarten. He may be caught up and not need therapy anymore.Good Luck!
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 9:00 AM on Aug. 3, 2009