im not sure what i should go to school for

om 22 i have a 16 month old and i would love to work towards a career problem is i dont know what i want to do im currently a stay at home mom so right now is the perfect time to go back to school...i like psycology i just dont want my career to take away from family time...any suggestions

tinkerbellma21

Asked by tinkerbellma21 at 10:29 AM on Aug. 1, 2009 in

• Go to the library and check out "What Color is My Parachute?" It will help you choose a career path

Answer by rkoloms at 4:34 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• i would suggest starting by taking your general eds first. if you go part time, that may give you more time to think about what you really want. most colleges have counselors you can talk to who can help you to find out what you'd like to go into.
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 10:37 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I went to college for about 25 years. I only went full time the first two years. After that I had to work full time or had kids and only went part time. I have a certificate degree in medical lab technology and a BS in general studies. I was able to take the exam that certifies me at the BS level of Medical Technologist.

I have master's degrees in adult and community ed and health science. I have all my course work done for a science doctorate and then the head of the program left and I haven't been able to finish. My minor is counseling psy and I'm 2 courses away from a masters. The masters in counseling psy is long and difficult to get.

I'm a very good student and have gotten into any program I've applied for. I've gone to 7 colleges but my degrees are from Indiana University and Ball State University in Indiana. I now live in Arizona.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 10:39 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• So that was a little about me. I homeschooled my kids and have a son that works in a medical lab, another that is a nurse, and my youngest works in an upscale natural food grocery store and is trying to decide what he wants to be when he grows up.

Unless you get a doctorate in psychology you will make crappy pay. Most jobs in psychology are horrible working conditions and depressing. If you get your doctorate you can teach at the college level or have your own practice. Getting a doctorate takes a long time, can cost a lot, and it is very competitive to get into doctoral programs. There are many more applications than there are positions open in programs.

One of the most important things they consider in getting into grad school is GRE scores. I have been able to get into any program because I get very high math scores.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 10:49 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I agree with the first poster, start with general classes and talk to others and look into things you are interested in.

I sort of had that problem when I went too, I started in nursing, and I figured out real quickly that THAT was NOT for me...lol.....so I went into teaching just b/c there was nothing else to do....and it fit...I realized that I was ment to be a teacher.

We have wonderful hours and never have to worry about working holidays....great benifits....;) I love it!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:51 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• If you want to get paid a lot podiatry is the way to go. Podiatrists are in the top 10 of income in the US. They have good working conditions. The requirements to get into school aren't that strict.

If you don't want to go to grad school nursing is great. You can get a two year degree and make $50 an hour. You can take three years to do it since you have a baby to take of. There are lots of different kinds of jobs nurses do.

GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 10:54 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Call your local community college and see if they offer career assement testing. It's a fairly quick test that asks questions about you and your likes/dislikes. Then gives a list of careers that are suited to you based on the info you provided. There may be something on there that catches your interest.
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 11:26 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Take a career assesment. It is an excellent way to find out what you are best suited for. It asks questions about likes/dislikes among other things. It takes a short time to complete. Call a local college or a Job Service office in your area. I took the assessment at the Job Service in my city and after I took the assessment, I was able to research the different areas and narrow done what I wanted to go. The assessor will also help you look at the different careers and point you in the right direction. I am now in school for Human Services and love it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:42 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• In this economy it is crucial to go into something that is NEEDED...try medical ...you can do anything, the business side of medical...nursing..doctor...assistant.....start with your basics, you will have a good solid year of general math, science and english before you can start core classes. so while you figure things out, take generals.
    soveryconfused

Answer by soveryconfused at 10:32 PM on Aug. 1, 2009