nursery school- do you think its worth the $?

my son is 2 and we are going to check out a nursery school on monday. its 2 days a week for 2 1/2 hours. so 5 hours altogether. the cost is $135 a month. is that expensive? i honestly dont have a clue what tuition for this should cost. but, his speech therapist said its way too much for a 2 day class.

brodysmama23

Asked by brodysmama23 at 10:43 AM on Aug. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• OMG I do not know where u live but that is CHEAP. Here in northern CA I can expects to pay 135 a week for something like that.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 10:45 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• That does seem a little high but i'm not sure i only paid 250 a month for my dd pre k and that was 5 days a week 8 to 3!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I work at a preschool and we charge 100$ for a 5 day week for 3.5 hrs a day.

If he has speech issues (my dd does too by the way) preschool will help him MORE than anything else you could ever do for him.

My dd went last year too, and sometime around Christmas she blossomed and began to talk so much more!

For different areas prices can run WAY different....that doesnt sound completely outrageous.....and it would be worth it if you could help his speech, right?
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:49 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• That does seem high. My oldest son went to nursery school and my younger son will start in September at the same place. He will be going 2 days a week for 2 1/2 hours as well and it costs $98 a month, (or 10% off the full price if you pay full tuition up front). For 3 days a week, which he will be going for next year in preK at the same place, 2 1/2 hours still, it costs $106 per month.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 10:54 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• 135 a month seems reasonable to me, especially if its something that might help with his speech. Granted, I'd do anything for my daughter. It probably has something to do with your area.. is there any other schools you can look into as well.

And then take into consideration.. is this a private nursery or public? (I know in my area there are both, and the private is much more expensive)
    Skye-Angel

Answer by Skye-Angel at 10:59 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• $135.00 a month is a steal.....thats $33.00 a week, $16.50 a day. Thats a great price.
    I should know because I'm a preschool teacher from Michigan.

tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 11:04 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Oh, and I felt like it was absolutely worth what we paid for my oldest son, that's why we are putting my younger son in the same program. And I should mention that it is a private school and part of the deal when you register your children is that you have to help out with fund raisers to keep tuition costs down. So maybe that's not unreasonable.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 11:06 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Sorry, I can't see WHY you'd want to send your 2 year old to nursery school!!!! At 2, he's still a baby and needs to be at home with you. They grow up so fast, why do you want to lose those precious formative years and more importantly PAY someone else to have him during those precious years?!? If you're worried about him "socializing", arrange for playdates with friends, look for playgroups in your area; 2 year olds have NO BUSINESS going to "school", IMO.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• The question is what is pre-school worth to you! In dollars and cents that costs out to $6.00 an hour. Currently below minimum wage. If you hired someone to play with him, like a babysitter, im guessing it would cost about the same. Is the benefit from the school you and he will receive worth that price? Are you using it to socialize him or as a quality babysitter? Can the household budget afford this or will it be a strain? These all figure in to the cost of pre-school. Depending on where you live and the quality of the school you will find vastly different prices. So your question " Is that a good price?" Yes i would say it is cheap as programs go.   But even cheap isnt always worht the price.

mellowmommy64

Answer by mellowmommy64 at 11:32 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• We made the decision last week to put our three year old in preschool this fall. We still plan to homeschool starting in kindergarten, but thought this would be a great help in his shyness and building his vocabulary and speech. We're paying $85 a month for two days a week, three hours each day. However, a lot of the cost is related to the area you are in. We did see preschools locally that charge as much as $200 a month for the same hours. We couldn't afford it. Even at $85 a month, it will be tight for us, and we're hoping to win a scholarship.

We really lucked out with this preschool. It's one of the best private, Christian schools in the area, his teacher has her master's degree in early education, and even the teacher assistants have degrees in education. You really have to look closely at the school, at your child and their needs, and what your family can afford. Talk to other parents, and get their opinions.
    BearsMommy

Answer by BearsMommy at 11:43 AM on Aug. 1, 2009