Why does my son do this???

I have a 3 month old son and when i lay him down (gently, of course) he cries and cries and cries. why does he do this? i make sure i burp him really well and make sure he always has plenty to eat but he's getting heavy so i can't hold him 24/7 any help????

ilovemycupcake

Asked by ilovemycupcake at 10:48 AM on Aug. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• YOUR SON PROBABLY NEEDS THE WARMTH OF YOUR BODY, REMEMBER HE WAS TIGHT UP IN YOUR TUMMY FOR 9 MONTHS. ONE THING YOU CAN DO IS WRAP HIM UP TIGHT IN HIS BLANKET LIKE THEY DID AT THE HOSPITAL WHEN HE WAS BORN, THIS MAKES THEM FEEL SECURE.

Answer by older at 10:59 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Try tightly swaddling him before laying him down.
    Get a sling or a snugli so he isn't so heavy to hold.
    Some babies just need more holding, snuggling than others.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• He is spoiled and just wants to be held.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Hes not spoiled. He probably is going through a stage where he wants to be held a lot. Try wearing him in a sling. It doesnt feel that heavy and after a little bit you'll hardly notice the weight. Also, if he does not like to flat on his back or on his tummy, he may be gassy, constipated etc.
    YoungTwinMommy

Answer by YoungTwinMommy at 11:59 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• My daughter's pediatrician warned me before she was 3 months that between 3 and 4 months is when baby goes through separation anxioty from the mother and wants to be with her 24/7... so he suggested I try to start her sleeping in her own room in her crib at 2 months instead of next to me in the basinet where i get her and feed her at her every moan and groan of interuption of sleep.... now she is 4 and a half months and she's been sleeping through the night 12-13 hours everynight since she was 2 months in her own room in her own crib.... yet she hasn't taken the bottle since she was 3 months.... she just wants mama's breast.... all baby's go through this around that age in one way or another..... and Babies up until 3 months are still considered new borns and you can't spoil new borns so don't listen to the mean mommies who say you are spoiling them!
    marchma2b

Answer by marchma2b at 12:14 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Also, If your baby crys up to 3 hours a day, 3 days or more a week, for 3 weeks.... he could have colic... talk to his doctor
    marchma2b

Answer by marchma2b at 12:16 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• "He is spoiled and just wants to be held"

Really? You're supposed to hold your baby. Otherwise they think you've abandoned them. They don't have the reasoning yet to understand that when you're not in the room you're still there.
    I'm sure you're a GREAT mother though. *rolls eyes*
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 12:25 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Lol babies, especially that young, can not be spoiled. No wonder you posted anonymously.

With my daughter I used a snugli and carried her around that way. She loved to feel the warmth of my body and be close, but HATED to be swaddled.
    Skye-Angel

Answer by Skye-Angel at 1:11 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• i dont believe he can be spoiled by picking him up so i do hold him but it makes me feel bad that when i lay him down he cries
    ilovemycupcake

Answer by ilovemycupcake at 2:40 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• What kind of person tries to tell you that a 3 month old baby is spoiled?!? You can't spoil them that young. For quite a few months after your baby is born it is important to hold and cuddle them as much as possible. Make lots of eye contact and talk to him. I know that it seems like you have to hold him a lot, but one day you will be wishing he would let you hold him more...they grow up so fast. Enjoy this time:)
    Sophia_L

Answer by Sophia_L at 4:36 PM on Aug. 1, 2009