Spinoff of Bloodbought's question about persecution of Christians-Are your beliefs strong enough to die for?

I've only been a Christian a little more than 6 years. But in that time, I've realized just how deep the love of my Heavenly Father is, and what my Lord and Savior went through, to do for me what I was incapable of doing for myself-saving my soul from eternal damnation,and giving me the promise of eternal life. Jesus came and willingly died for me, I love living for Him,and I know I trust in His word strongly enough that if someone put a gun to my head and said "renounce God or I'll kill you" I'd say "shoot me." In God's word it tells us "to be absent from the body is to be present with the spirit." So, I know when I shut my eyes forever here, I will open them in Heaven. So, regardless of what you believe, be it God, Atheist, Pagan, Wiccan, Islam, Buddist,whatever, would you be willing to die for your beliefs?

stvmen88

Asked by stvmen88 at 11:08 AM on Aug. 1, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I believe in God with all of my soul. If that means dying for Him...then fine.
    sunnymom3

Answer by sunnymom3 at 11:11 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• And, before anyone starts in on me about leaving my children motherless, let me say, all 3 of my children are Christians, by THEIR choice, and we've had this discussion before. They are all also willing to die for Christ,and so we would not be separated. Not to mention,they would all expect me to stand by my beliefs,and not back down,for any reason, or anyone.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 11:10 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• yes
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I don't believe anyone should have to die for their beliefs.Our beliefs are personal and even a gun to one's head would make a person change what they believe. Their words might confess one thing but their 'heart' another. So, no, I am not willing to die for my beliefs in a case where a gun is being held to my head alone. However if the gun is being held to another's head as well as mine I will lay down my life so that they might live, even if their beliefs differ from mine.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:39 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I don't have that much to lose by saying something like "Nope, I'm not a Buddhist, I believe in so-n-so" because Buddha isn't a God & there is no threat of eternal damnation or the likes for "denying" him. We're not supposed to lie.... so maybe a little more bad karma in the next life, but no moreso than, say, I told someone I liked their new haircut when I really didn't.

So spiritually speaking, in the situation you described - yeah, I'd probably pretend to go along with the man with the gun to get out of the situation.

Now, if it were something like --- terrorists have taken over & are forcing everyone into a completely different lifestyle --- not only would I tell them to go ahead & shoot me... I'd tell them to kiss my ass first.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:11 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I don't want to be there when someone tells you to drink the Kool-Aid.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:12 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• My answer would be similar to Laura. My spiritual path is not one where I would be eternally damned if I denied my beliefs in order to save my or my family's life. But if someone were forcing me to go along with their religion, under threat of death, I would most likely tell them to go pack sand.

AnamCara1

Answer by AnamCara1 at 12:31 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Nope. But my religion would never ask for such a thing from me. I would fight for my FREEDOM.. but that's a different situation all together. I would die for my FREEDOM, and my child(s) freedom.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:41 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• The only thing I would die for are my children.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 1:17 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• The only reason my faith still exists is because thousands lied and "denounced" their faith so the Christians would stop killing their wives and children before them. Course, we didn't actually denounce it, we just turned Yule into Christmas and put a tree in everyone's living room. No man has the power to truly make anyone abandon their faith. They have the power to chase people away from ever examining them in the first place, by being so horrible nobody wants to be associated with them, but the only way anyone will ever leave one faith for another (or for none) is personal choice.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:24 PM on Aug. 1, 2009