Ok i know this was majorly stupid of me... but last night I was preparing chilli for the weekend and I was chopping up peppers and I didn't realize how hot they were (I wish I used gloves).I touched my nose. .it was burning for a lil bit... then my mouth (dummy) and that burned to but it eventually went away (thank God I didn't touch my eyes) well today my finger tips are still "on fire" like I placed them on the hot stove or something.not only does it hurt bad, but I'm afraid to touch my baby! Her skin is so delicate so I'm scared to burn her with my pepper hands! I left her in her jammies all day so far and was extra careful changing her diaper... But what can I do? ANy tips? I already washed my hands like a hundred times... and soaked my fingers in a cold bowl of milk (cuz it sounded soothing and was at the time, but it was only temporary) anything I can do to make it go away before the princess wakes up from her nap?

Asked by marchma2b at 11:11 AM on Aug. 1, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Ohhhhh, try soaking them in horrible as it might just pull that pepper off your hands....just a suggestion, not like I have ever tried this particular thing out before ;) lol

Answer by mom2twobabes at 11:13 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Try soaking your hands in some rubbing alcohol or vodka.

Answer by Fistandantalus at 11:14 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• The Pioneer Woman posted about this very thing yesterday. She gave tips on what to do if your hands feel like they are on fire:

Answer by LuvBug3 at 11:23 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I always rub them with olive oil, which helps.

Answer by Avarah at 11:36 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I read to cut a ripe tomato and rub your hands with it. In a few minutes it should be fine.

Answer by Bmat at 11:50 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Here are some other suggestions, one was that the burning chemical is alcohol soluble so use an alcohol wipe, also vinegar, and someone suggested onion.

Answer by Bmat at 11:52 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• bump

Answer by midnightstar21 at 12:09 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Years ago my friend told me (after making an espeically hot batch of thai food) that citrus always helps. He always made sure he had a citrusy drink with his hot food. I'm thinking it should help out with burning skin too. Lime or lemon juice should help. It's acid and will cut the oil on your skin from the peppers!

Answer by Nika75 at 12:21 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I would try lemon juice.

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:47 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I have no other advice, but I have a little story. My husband made salsa once and we use habaneros. Well afterward he either didn't wash his hands or didn't wash them well enough and then he peed. He wasn't feeling too good for a bit after that. LOL.

Answer by Christina807 at 6:23 PM on Aug. 1, 2009