How old was you baby when you started feeding him/her cereal?

Just curious.... The AAP says the best thing is strically breast milk until 6 months... But pretty much all of my girlfriends started their kids on food at 4 months. My daughter's 4 and a half months. I would like to wait until 6 months because the AAP website says it's better to ward off allergies and better for their immunity system and prevents obesity amoung other reasons, but my friends look at me like I'm nuts, or like I'm depriving my child or something.... She sleeps 12-13 hours through the night, and seems still satisfied with breastmilk, so I don't feel I'm doing anything wrong (besides the fact that she my little chunky monkey weighing in at 16 lbs!) what do you guys (or gals I should say) think????

marchma2b

Asked by marchma2b at 11:17 AM on Aug. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 4 month by spoon but she has horrible acid reflux and keeps it down, somewhat.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:42 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I never fed my youngest cereal. It is just processed junk that can inhibit the absorbtion ot the iron in your breastmilk. The MAIN reason they say to wait until at least 6 months is because their little tummies can't digest anything other than breastmilk until then (sometimes later). Have you read the kellymom article on delaying solids? That was one of the things that convinced me. This page will link you to all the different articles on solids. It is very informative and researched. http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/index.html

aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 11:57 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I just started my daughter on rice cereal at 4 mon. I'm going to wait a few more weeks and then start with the veggies.
    If you're more comfortable waiting until 6 mon, go for it. She'll be fine on breastmilk until then.
    Otherwise, you could try, and if she keeps pushing the spoon out of her mouth with her tongue, than she's not ready. I know a lot of baby books do say 4 mon for rice cereal and than 6 mon for veggies and fruit.
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 12:22 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Didn't do cereal. It's processed junk.

Never mind your friends. You WILL find that you have lots of different parenting ideas, and many "friends' will become people you just happen to know.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:37 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I started cereal with my kids at 4 months. When my oldest was born 12 years ago, it was standard practice to start cereal at 4 months, just as 35 years ago when I was born it was standard practice to start cereal at 3-4 weeks. Now they're saying 6 months - whatever you and your baby are comfortable with will be fine. If you have a question about it, ask your pediatrician what they recommend.

Answer by missanc at 12:44 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I think my daughter was between 5 and 6 months when we started cereal.. she hated it.
    Skye-Angel

Answer by Skye-Angel at 1:08 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I started my DD at like 4 or 5 months..She ate some but really didnt like it so we went to Jar cereal! She loved that. so that was good! She started everything early though..But every baby is diffrent! Good Luck momma
    bonham

Answer by bonham at 1:19 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I started my daughter a few weeks ago at 5 months. She got the "okay" from her dr before then at 4 months because she's developing so good.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 1:39 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• i always feed my lil one what ever i ate when she could sit up by her self(at 3 1/2 months)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:46 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• we started at 4 months, but if you baby seems satified with what she is getting I would hold off until she seems like she needs more. With my son he started breastfeeding every 1-2 hours rather than his 3 hours and at first we thought it was a growth spurt but it went on for a few weeks, so I asked his doctor about it and he said to go ahead and start rice.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:08 PM on Aug. 1, 2009