Do you know any parents who put their wants ahead of their kid's needs?

We knew a couple like this. Her kids would go to school with holes in their shoes,without warm coats,while her and her husband would buy themselves $80.00 western shirts, $200.00 cowboy boots,and go clubbing all weekend. They were always bragging about this,and it got so disgusting, my DH and I broke off the friendship,just stopped hanging out. Couldn't take them,they were nauseating,and I felt so bad for their poor kids.

stvmen88

Asked by stvmen88 at 11:23 AM on Aug. 1, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Yeah my sister. That's why I'm anon, lol.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Yes. I just posted a question about him. It's the father not the mother - he's a "stay at home dad" which I put in quotations because he's not much of a father. He sits around on the internet all day while his 8 month old daughter watches r rated movies in a poopy diaper and he tries to avoid changing the diaper so that the mother can do it whenever she gets home from work! Worst of all he drinks beer all day then puts her into the car to go to the liquor store to buy more beer!! All the while the child isn't stimulated at all. It breaks me heart... I just heard this story yesterday.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• My sister and BIL- And I don't care if she see's it!!
    She needs to here it from SOMEONE!
    JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 11:31 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• my stepsister acts like a giant baby herself so every one will try to take care of her and meanwhile, they are also taking care of her kids.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 11:34 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• yea.. these couples my parents were friends with. they put their needs in front of their own kids literally.
    they go to school late EVERY day just because the parents didn't want to wake up in time. the father goes out and buys all these expensive clothes JUST for himself but none for his kids. they sometimes get a shower... they've started learning how to shower by themselves in middle school, it's quite sad. and the mother goes out everyday after work and spends time with her friends rather than coming home and tidy up the house alittle so her kids can have a clean home. they lived in a pig sty.
    I've seen one the girls a month ago and she seems to be taking good care of herself. so I don't know how they are living anymore since i moved to a different city. [the parents didn't know cause we told them we were moving to a different state]
    kittenripmaygo

Answer by kittenripmaygo at 11:36 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• My stepkids' mother. School late every day. She's had them call every one of her many boyfriends by some stupid pet name. Now the latest one was only divorced from his wife 4 months ago and she's married him and has the kids calling him "daddy" so she can pretend she has a perfect life. She BUYS things. Seriously, I've seen her credit card and debit card records and she buys THOUSANDS of dollars of crap for herself and her kids' clothes are too small. They have NEVER seen a dentist, but the 7 year old told his dad that he'd been to the dentist and sat in the waiting room while his mom had her teeth cleaned. She won't pay for new glasses for them, so they run around with broken glasses, but she's got designer non-prescription sunglasses.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I Love my sister but I think she bought her daughter (10) a cell phone so she can come and go as she pleases and the phone can be the built in baby sitter... She's going to regret neglecting her daughter when she catches some horrible STD. Or is raped. They live in an apartment complex that keeps getting worse by the day. She works a lot and relies way too much on the fact that she can call her daughter anytime. JMO...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:52 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• We have friends who don't do anything with their kids. If it weren't for us their kids would stay home and not see or experience anything. The use the excuse they don't have any money However, we have been friends for years and it has been like that forever.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 11:58 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I work in a preschool, I see it everyday and its disgusting!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 12:01 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I haven't seen it to that extent, but I see lots of parents do it, and claim "it's best for our family." it's like if it's not best for the kids, they claim it's for the family. That seems to be code, a lot, for "best for me." Thankfully, I don't know of anyone who is that horrible, though! It's just small things.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 12:34 PM on Aug. 1, 2009