Should I be picking him up?

My son is about 35 pounds and I just found out I'm pregnant. I'm guessing about 5 weeks. Stretching in the morning is already uncomfortable in my lower belly, and I'm afraid I shouldn't be picking my 3yo up for a while. I haven't been to a doctor yet, I'm new to the area and still looking around, so what do you think? Is it ok to pick up my little boy, or should I take it easy for the first trimester?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Aug. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It should be ok, but do listen to how your body feels. Make sure you are squating and bending at the legs, not bending at the waste and it should help. I felt pressure and strain sometimes in my lower abdomen right away with my second as well. Everything is stretching and making room a lot quicker since your body knows what's going on the second time around (muscle memory). If you are feeling sore by the end of the day then I would hold off a little on picking him up. I squat down and have my son wrap his arms around my neck, scoop my arms under his butt, then stand up with my legs.
    KadensMom907

Answer by KadensMom907 at 11:47 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• let your body tell you, i don't think lifting at 5 weeks could be dangerous but if its painful then stop
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 11:36 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Normally, it is ok to lift during pregnancy. Two of my kids are 17 months apart & I lifted & carried DS the entire time I was pregnant with DD. The other posters are correct, though. Let your body tell you. If you feel tired or your muscles ache, hold off on picking up your toddler. Make sure you blame your back & not the new baby. You don't want to build sibling resentment this early! If you can't pick up your toddler, tell him that Mommy's back hurts & maybe suggest reading a story or playing a game on the floor. Good luck & congrats on the new baby!
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 11:53 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Mothers are BUILT to withstand this- We are made to be able to handle one or more children when we are pregnant- how else would the human race survive??!?! I hate when women act "broken" when they get pregnant- Im 38 weeks and I carry around my 3 year old, my 8 month old nephew (which I have custody of) and IM PREGNANT!

Don't use pregnancy as an excuse, your son needs attention and help too!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I heard anything 40lbs or under is safe to lift during pregnancy unless it becomes uncomfortable or painful. I worked at a daycare center my first 3 months of pregnancy. I was constantly lifting 1 and 2 year olds daily. My back started to hurt after awhile but other than that everything was fine!
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:55 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Wow anon, I'm asking a simple question, I'm not trying to neglect my mothering duties! But with the little pains I've been feeling in my lower abs when I bend over and stretch, it had me a little worried about the possibility of miscarriage. I specifically asked if I should take it easy during the first trimester, because that's when miscarriage is most likely to happen. I've had one already, I'd rather not have another! I'm not acting broken, I'm asking if I should be more careful, so take your judgments elsewhere!

Everyone else, thanks for the advice, I will start squatting rather than bending, it probably would help. And it's comforting to know that the pains are my body getting ready, rather than anything ripping out of place... which is what I was worried about! -OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:02 PM on Aug. 1, 2009