PLEASE ADVISE ME! PLEASE! IM EXHAUSTED!

Im asking in the 3-4 even tho my dd is only 2 1/2 bc Im hoping someone has been threw this! My DD has always gone to bed awesome! But the last 2 weeks has been a battle field! Really! she has thrown fits, hit, kicked, screamed, throws stuff, breaks, stuff, screams like someones beating her, jumps on the bed. My husband says let her cry it out, but she doesnt stop thats not working, I try to calm her down Nothing! She gets to the point where I have to get her inhaler ( asthma) Shes always woken up int he middle of the nite for a cup of milk but last nite after the battle she woke up at 3 am for a cup of milk but when i gave it to her started screaming again! what is going on with her?! The only thing that has changed is we took her passy from her the first of july. She just started doing this fit of rage. I dont know what to do! bed time as always been so regular and so easy! Help me! im tired! havent slept good in 2 weeks!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Aug. 1, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I also gave my daughter choices. She was about 2.5 and I had to take a DVD player out of her room because she would sit up all night watching it, and scream if I turned it off. So once I removed it, she screamed in her bed for hours. So I began giving her more choices, she picks out her pj's every night, 2 books we read, and we went to the store and she picked out a cd player with hello kitty on it, and i let her pick out one cd she would like to hear while she lays in bed at night, i asked her if she wanted the closet light on or off, if she wanted to pick out a night lite, and what items she wanted in her bed with her (comfort items). it worked for us.
    x_hysteria

Answer by x_hysteria at 4:39 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• oh.. and if this helps.. we took the passy from her and she gave it up easy.. didnt cry, ask for it again or anything.. ( The passy fairy came to give it to the babies)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I am going through the same thing with dd. The only way she will goto sleep is in her stroller downstairs then we transfer her. I think they are going through a growth spurt and they are also realizing they do not have to be alone in the bedroom mommy can be with me or I can go sleep with mommy and daddy. Sometimes I think dd is teething her very back teeth so I give her tylenol before bed, it helps alot.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 11:56 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• She could be changing her sleep needs. How is her nap? If she is overtired, it'll be harder to get her down. If she is in bed too long, then it'll be hard, too.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 12:22 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I thought it was naps so i cut them out, Still screamed.. thought she needed a nap and was restless still screamed.. I think a lot of the problem comes from my moms bc she loves to go to mimis, but mimi lets her pick where and who she wants to sleep with.. but I cant not let her go over there to spend the nite thats the only way I get a break! lol... I just want bed time back to normal! LOL I will tell my mom to cut it out.. but if anyone else has the same situation please share your story to make me feel better or let me know what your doing! :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:26 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• This sounds kind of mean, but it worked with my son when he went through that stage. I would do our normal bedtime routine, pj's brush teeth, read story, bed time. Usually my son goes to sleep watching a movie, but when he started the screaming fits we cut out the movie... He would do all the things your describing, so I would try laying him down, but once the screaming started I would literally hold him down... Obviously not hard enough to hurt him, but I would keep one hand on his legs, one on his back, cover him up, and not let him move until he stopped screaming... sometimes that meant 20 minutes, but i held him down. The second he stopped screaming i let go, if he stayed calm I rubbed his back to help him fall asleep, if he tried to get up or started screaming again i held him down. While he was screaming I would not respond to him in any way, when he finally stopped I would say i loved him and would he like a hug. cont
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 12:51 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• it took about 2 weeks, but eventually he got over the screaming fits at bedtime... like i said it sounds cruel, but some kids have soooo much energy at the end of the day no matter what you do screaming is their way to get rid of it. By gently but firmly holding her down she's not able to break anything or injure herself or others, but she can still scream... and I don't care how stubborn the child is eventually they WILL pass out from exhaustion from screaming. Just ignore the screams while being firm, and the second they stop let go. Say if you don't want mommy to hold you down you need to stop screaming, then offer some kind of comfort if the child stays calm... if the screaming starts up again go back to holding, reminding the child the only way you will let go is if she's calm and not screaming. Good Luck!
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 12:54 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• did you replace her passy with something else? maybe a stuffed anminal or doll, for my daughter it was a fuzzy blanket.
    momoftwokids547

Answer by momoftwokids547 at 2:12 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• No, Well shes been asking for a doll more, So we let her get one out of her play room b4 she goes to bed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:01 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• This helped with my son - GIVE HER CHOICES...as many as you can. What pajamas to wear, to get dressed by herself or have you help, whatever you can do. She wants some control in her life - she's learning that you guys set all the rules, like when to go to bed. She needs to feel like she has some control in her life, so give her some. I've given my son choices about which books to read, which setting he wants his nightlight on at, door open or closed, whatever little choices I can give him. It helped a lot once he realized that he had some control...he knew he still had to go to bed, but at least he could make some of the decisions concerning it.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 5:13 PM on Aug. 1, 2009