How did I do this, how do parent this kid????

Well my mother never talked to me about sex or drugs, so at 14 I started experimenting, and I think my life would be different if it didn't start out this way. Also my daughter is 9 and should I let her dress like a rockstar/goth like she wants to, or not really?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Aug. 1, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• when should i start talking about sex and drugs and stuff, and should i not let her dress weird or what??
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• IMO I think 9 is a bit young to allow this kind of clothes or identity. If this is what kind of clothes SHE wants to buy, maybe let her earn the money to buy the clothes on her own and only allow them on special occasions. GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Aug. 1, 2009

• You need to start talking to her NOW about sex and drugs. Not just about sex but about the changes her body will soon go through, respecting her body and how dressing or acting in certain ways may get her a reputation that may not be true.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:01 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• i started sex/drugs at 14 too and i can't even imagine what my life could have been if i hadn't done those things and if i had stayed in high school. do the best you can, i wouldn't worry about sex or drugs at nine but just be there for your daughter. and kids have the DUMBEST fashon right now.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:01 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I believe in freedom of creativity. If she wants to dress that way as long as she isn't being to revealing I think wether you like it or not it should be her choice unless you are going somewhere it isn't the right attire. If she is dressing like this then it is probably time to start talking. Get some pictures of STD's to show her. Just remember you CANNOT prevent her from having sex you can only educate her in bc and safe sex and hope she is responsible enough to ask for those items. Make sure she knows she can come to u about that stuff. I am not saying it is ok to have sex so young but it does happen and I would rather my girl ask for condoms and bc than her get some std or pregnant so young. GL
    heather.darin

Answer by heather.darin at 12:03 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• BTW when I was young I had a friend that got preggo at nine had the baby at 10 her mom had to raise that baby cause she couldn't
    heather.darin

Answer by heather.darin at 12:04 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Remember that schools usually have some type of dress code. Our district the kids are not allowed to wear spagetti straps little things like that. I also believe that you need to stress the importance of not doing drugs.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 1:52 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• When I was young, my mom's idea of a sex and drugs talk was, "If you have sex or do rugs, I will kill you." I was in a training bra for about a week at 9 yrs old and went right to a B cup and up, started my cycle at 10. If my friends were doing drugs, I didnt know about it until I was 15, and I didnt start (smoking pot and cigarettes) until I was 16. I didnt have sex until I was 19, then I got pregnant, although if I had the opportunity, I think I would've done it sooner. I dressed Goth (kinda I had my own style) in high school, and my parents hated it. They never found out I was doing drugs (they only knew about pot) until a week before I found out I was pregnant. Would a better talk have helped, maybe, but I was into doing what I wanted. Was it my clothes? Nope I knew goth people who were straight edged. If my mom wouldve paid more attention, she wouldve known my friends and I were smoking pot in her basement. She was naiv
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 9:12 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• As for the sex and drugs just be honest about what you expect from her and talk about it often so she is comfortable talking to you about it.
    With the clothes/style i would let her choose, within a certian set of guidelines such as shirt length or amount of makeup.
    trying2survive

Answer by trying2survive at 12:14 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• no!!! you just don't let your daughter dress like that cause she wants' to, you dress her like a 9 year old dresses your the mom. you tell her she can dress like that when she's old enough to make the money herself.by working. if by then she still likes those kind of clothes. my god lol!!!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:12 PM on Aug. 2, 2009