Any one out there have Factor V? Blood clotting disorder?

Was just diagnosed while being pregnant with second child. They want me to take blood thinners. Problem is... it could possibly hurt my baby. I won't take it. I have only a month to go. Anyone else been in this situation or one similiar to it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:03 PM on Aug. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Yes, when I was pregnant with my first baby, they thought I had a blood disorder that I have conveniently forgotten the name of right now.....ugggg.....so, they put me on blood thinners injected into my BELLY! no joke....at about 14 weeks or so along.

I did them myself. so I got use to it......I did them everyday until after he was born and everything was fine! No issues! Baby is now 5 years old and smart as a whip! Reading before Kindergarten! lol

I was on Heparin. did they tell you that it could harm your baby? They told me, that it wouldnt. But it might be a different medicine.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 12:06 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I have another blood disorder which is similar to Factor V. I took Heparin shots twice a day plus baby aspirin through my pregnancy. With these clotting disorders, you are at risk for clots in the placenta or umbilical cord, both of which would be fatal to the baby, but you are also at increased risk for blood clots yourself. Once you have the baby, the six weeks following delivery is the time you're most at risk for stroke or PE or heart attack, while your blood volume goes down. I went on Coumadin after delivery, which is completely safe while breastfeeding.

Going on blood thinners is a personal decision, but I knew that if anything happened to my son, it would be my fault and I couldn't deal with that. Also, Heparin and Lovenox are used a lot during high risk pregnancies and are safe. Coumadin is the only one that isn't safe while you're pregnant (even though it is safe while breastfeeding).
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:51 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Thank you both for your responses. They told me what ever I took would be harmful to the baby. That nothing said it would be safe or not safe. So thats why im not taking anything. just baby asprin. They said what ever i took would be my choice on the outcome of the baby. Real nice huh? I'm stuck in a positison where I don't know what to do. I already have three blood clots in my leg. The thought of hurting my unborn baby isn't a option. Then the thought of me possibly dying and leaving my two year old isn't either. My life is my kids, so i'm scared to death. I feel like i'm a ticking time bomb.. like any minute i could be gone. The tears won't stop... doctors can't tell me anything. just its me taking a chance with my unborn.. Sickning! Thank you both. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:13 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Wow, your doctor seriously lacks compassion. I understand how scary it is to get a diagnosis like this and feel like your body is failing you and your baby. It's horrible. My doctor was blunt, but very helpful. The clots in your leg are especially scary to me, because you're already displaying symptoms. I was on the Heparin and aspirin with no symptoms, but my husband has been in intensive care twice with pulmonary embolisms that nearly killed him. It's terrifying. If you want to talk or if you have any questions about the whole thing, feel free to PM me. I wish I'd had someone to talk to who had gone through it when I was going through it. Here's a link where you can hear about other people's experiences with it, too. http://www.sharedjourney.com/forums/Female_Infertility_Factors/Lovenox_and_pregnancy/

JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:13 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I am 13 weks long and have to take heparin injections every 12 hours. When he doc first told me this info I was scared. So I did some research and found that it will not harm my baby. I hate needles. This is my second pregnancy. A month after my first kid I went into the emergency room because I was having trouble breathing. They founda clot in my left lung. Scary. So to prevent and complications i a on the injections that i give myself. I can't wait till this is over. This will be my last child. I don't wan to go through this again. I dont' want to put my body through this again. Anyway, I think 2is a good number. To all of the mothers that are going through the same thing, hang in there, u are no alone. Just think positive. And take care of yourself.
    twofortina

Answer by twofortina at 9:12 AM on Aug. 9, 2009

• Thank you. I have a update on my factor V. I saw my OB and not my Vascular doc (for the clots and varacose viens) and my OB said there is something that can be given. I am on Lovell or something like that. I have to give my self shots in my belly once a day. I have been on it for 3 days now. so far so good. I was told it wont hurt my baby.. Though i will say.. I am still nervous about that. I have three weeks to go till baby is born. hopefully she comes sooner. I have to take the injections till about 12 weeks after baby is born. Not to happy about it, but I guess i have to do what is nessesary. thank you everyone for your stories. It has seriously helped and gave me courage. Thank you to for the web site!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:23 PM on Aug. 14, 2009