The 8000 housing allowance and this 4500 cash for clunkers program

How are these programs being paid for? I want to assume it is with tax money since they are being put out by the government, but I am not 100% sure.

The issue I have and the reason I ask is because I do not think these are fair programs if they are tax funded. $8000 would have helped my husband and I a lot when we bought our 1st house 18months ago and the $4500 would have made us able to buy a more fuel efficient, better for the environment car than the one we bought last month. I don't understand how the house program can only be for people buying their 1st house, and the car program just comes out all of a sudden to 'help' people. Why do those people get help and those of us who have been saving up to afford what we have don't get any credit for that? Its really wrong if our tax money is helping others and we do not get any help for being responsible

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:04 PM on Aug. 1, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• They are NOT BEING PAID FOR! LOL....the cash for clunkers program was expected to last around 6 months and it was out of money the first week. They will not honor the program right now.

What a genius program. I actually like the program....just whoever figured out the logistics of it must have been a moron.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 12:07 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Ha, these people want the hands on healthcare!! I guess they don't figure that there will be a run on it for every sniffle or hang nail!

YES, taxpayers are paying for it.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:25 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• It's not fair. My son is 21 and he has been able to buy a house with a downpayment grant and will get the tax credit. He is getting a house in Tucson with a pool, a new kitchen, all new floors, new room, new Trane furnace and AC. His payments will be around $500. He was able to be in the right place in the right time and with a lot of work on our part and a great real estate person we made it happen.

With the tax credit he will be able to pay off all his credit cards, buy a nice used car, and new furniture. He has a good job but he didn't even pass his GED! His IQ is 80! He has bipolar disorder! Like he says, he has done the best he could with the genes he got.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 12:31 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• It's not fair. My son is 21 and he has been able to buy a house with a downpayment grant and will get the tax credit. He is getting a house in Tucson with a pool, a new kitchen, all new floors, new room, new Trane furnace and AC. His payments will be around $500. He was able to be in the right place in the right time and with a lot of work on our part and a great real estate person we made it happen. With the tax credit he will be able to pay off all his credit cards, buy a nice used car, and new furniture.

NO this is not fair and its setting people up in a FALSE sense of security that the economy is good when its NOT.

Its the vultures that get the remains of those that are destroyed.

tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 12:45 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Yeah it's not fair. Why should I get any help. I mean heck I only worked at the same job for 7 years and paid taxes and when myself and my DH were both out of work I was eligible for NOTHING. No help at all. Why should we get any help? We deserve nothing, just because of the downfall of the economy made my DH go from making 700.00 a week doing treework to making 400.00 a week busting his hump putting on metal roofs in the FL heat. For the same reason I had to return to work. I was staying home with my daughter since being in daycare 4 days put her in the hospital for 5 days @ 7 weeks. Well At least I got my job back! Although again due to the downturn I was making 14.85 when I had to resign and was rehired at the new wage of 12.75.WHOO HOO. We deserve nothing for all the taxes we paid when we were making good money and had to use all that we saved because we were not eligible for any help from anyone. Sorry we got something.
    dianna2402

Answer by dianna2402 at 1:23 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• The Cash for Clunkers program was a stroke of genius. It boosted auto sales ENORMOUSLY. And with more fuel efficient cars on the road, gas prices might stay relatively low. This is great news for anyone in the auto industry right now. Is it fair? I don't see it as unfair. Right place at the right time. That's how a lot of things are in life anyway.

This just goes to show how the economy is a situation where you will never please everyone though. I could have used a hefty tax credit when I bought my house. I would love to take advantage of the cash for clunkers program, but it's not possible right now. But for those who do.... Good for them. The flip side is that I have a home and a decent car that I'm lucky to have in these times.

goddessmonica

Answer by goddessmonica at 1:28 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Yep, its the scavengers who get the meat.....

tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 1:31 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• no one deserves a hand out sorry people if you feel that you do. some people need a hand up which is totally different from a hand out. a hand up is where someone helps you in a way so that you can help your self in the long run. what is going to happen to all of these cars when people run out of cash? they are going to sell them to someone else you really doesnt need them.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 1:32 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Its the vultures that get the remains of those that are destroyed.

Does it make me a canibal since I am getting from my own remains that were destroyed???
    dianna2402

Answer by dianna2402 at 1:34 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• HOW IS THIS A HANDOUT???? Someone please explain why these are "bad" programs.

goddessmonica

Answer by goddessmonica at 1:41 PM on Aug. 1, 2009