When did you take your child off the bottle?

My twins are 9 months old and I want to get them off the bottle soon. They can drink from a sippy cup just fine, but not when sitting. They dont know how to tip yet. I lay them on a boppy pillow for bottles and sippies when they arent eating but I have to tip for them in the high chair.

YoungTwinMommy

Asked by YoungTwinMommy at 12:10 PM on Aug. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'm not sure why anyone would question you wanting to snuggle with your girls. That has nothing to do with it. Twin moms don't get the luxury of doing everything the same as they would for a singleton because we are only one person. We do the best we can with the two arms we have to snuggle as much as possible. As far as transitioning, every child is different and I don't think there is an exact cut off point. You could be harsh and take the bottles away forcing them to use the cups, but I don't agree with that method. My twins are STILL on bottles at 16 months, their pedi suggested we transition by 18 months. My son does very well on the sippy cup with juice and water but wants nothing to do with it when his milk is involved. My daughter maybe drinks an ounce at most from a sippy, so this is going to be one long hard transition.
    TwinsMommy08

Answer by TwinsMommy08 at 2:40 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• We took the bottle away at 1 year. They used sippy cups before then but still had a few bottles a day.
    frapanda

Answer by frapanda at 12:13 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Why would you want to do that? Bottle feeding gives you a chance to snuggle your babies close to your heart. Of course if you choose not to breastfeed it is recommended that you come as close as possible. You would want them to have the close snuggle at the breast feeding bottle feeding experience for at least a year.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 12:17 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• one year for the bottle and 10 months with the paci...
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 12:17 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• DD was 17 months (she is 15 now so don't bother bashing me for doing it so late!!). DS was right before he turned one. We were on vacation & he chewed the nipple off his bottle & that was it. He only had it for a couple months after he was weaned from the breast so he wasn't that attached. Youngest DD never took a bottle, she went from breast to cup.

Try giving your twins regular cups. Don't fill them very full to start. You can also give them a small cup of fresh water while they are in the bath & let them practice that way. Sippy cups can be hard to use while sitting
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 12:22 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• My boys were both nine months and my DD eight months. They all used the Playtex straw cups. You can still snuggle with them while they are drinking from their cups.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 12:53 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• They could transition to a sippy now. My 6 month old DD has never taken bottles at all, but she is starting to drink from a sippy.
    DanosGirl

Answer by DanosGirl at 1:12 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• We've been letting our daughter ween herself off.. as in she only drinks a couple oz out of the bottle now before she's done. Only time she really does is at bed and nap time.. I'm not into rushing my kids to do something just because everyone says thats the norm, or looks at me bad for it.
    Skye-Angel

Answer by Skye-Angel at 1:13 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Honestly I took my son off the bottle at 9mths and my daughter off at 6mths...they both did really well with it...I just kept showing them how to turn it up...and eventually they just got it themselves...I would say don't give up just be persistent they will learn!!
    KatrinaBSmith

Answer by KatrinaBSmith at 1:25 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I took DD off the bottle at 1 and the paci at 2
    cholita1978

Answer by cholita1978 at 2:36 PM on Aug. 1, 2009