tattoos and peircings?.. do you have pre concieved notions?

I was at the grocery store yesterday with my 7yr old son, and we were standing at the deli counter waiting for his pepperoni cheese...all of the sudden the lady behind the counter started asking me about my tattoo. i thought nothing of it because its out in the open, i mean it takes up the top of my foot, but as i was walking away, the woman behind me said something about mothers with tattoo's looking slutty and being a bad role model for their children.

I have 2 tattoos, one on my foot and one on my leg, and other than my ears and nose nothing else is peirced.

I'm just wondering is any of you think badly of other moms when you see them with tattoos and peircings.

Is your first reaction that they are bad parents?

mandy0510

Asked by mandy0510 at 12:18 PM on Aug. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• i absolutly LOVE good body art and piercings. i think the woman who said that to you was a snob. i would've went off...but thats just me . but to answer your question..no i dont have any preconceived notions. i love art any type. body art to me is beautiful.
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 3:34 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• No.. It's a choice, I don't have any of my own, Hubby has 3 very large tats and I think it's what makes him unique... I have told our boys that when they are 18 and they can pay for their own it's fine with me. As far as your parenting, I wouldn't worry about it, as long as you know you're doing the best you can it's no ones business..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:21 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• NO, one of the best mom's I know owed a body piercing shop and had piercings everywhere and a few tattoos to boot. She is so involved with her kid and really connected to him as an individual. Her husband is all tattooed up and has a big long goatee. People make comments all the time, but they really are the most loving parents I know.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 12:27 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Having 6 tats (so far) myself --- nope, not usually. Only when it portrays something sexual or illegal do I think something sarcastic LOL I'll admit that.

For example, I saw a lady a few wks ago that had 4 small kids & a tat on her calf of marijuana, gangsters, guns, etc. Now stuff like THAT.... I'm thinking isn't the best choice.

Of mine, only one is visible at all times, but it causes enough stir on it's own. It's on my wrist & is a trace of a signature... so it's not all pretty with the cute font or anything. It's just as he wrote it.

People can turn their noses up at it all they want.... I love it.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:27 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I think it's pretty common these days that people have tattoos. Older people will have more preconceived notions about them because it was less common when they were young mothers. These days it is more unlikely to find a mom without tattoos than it is to find one with them. My husband and I are practically the only ones among both of our friends with no tats and no piercings (other than my ears).

I think it's silly to assume that a woman with a tattoo is slutty though, especially a foot tattoo. It's not like your tramp stamp and thong were hanging out!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 12:34 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I love tattoos I think it is a great way to show a child self expression and meaning. I have 5 stars on my back one with my dd's name. The others have the initials of my nieces and nephews 2 of which have passed away so I decided to put halo's around those 2. I love telling my nieces what they mean and who they are for. What a person does with their body is their choice and nobody has the right to judge. I always laugh because when my grandma was going through chemo she had to get some tatttoos to mark place on her body where they would angle to the chemo, she would always tell me about the tattoos and thought she was cool getting tattoos at 72.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 12:38 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• uugh I cant stand closed minded people! SO has tattoos, as do I, and we both have stretched pierced ears and i have a labret piercing. that doesnt mean we are bad parents or bad role models. we both love our son and each other.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 12:39 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I know awsome parents that are practically covered head to toe and bad ones that have none. I think anyone who thiks less of someone over tats or piercings are small minded and should be ignored. Don't worry about them. I wouldn't
    heather.darin

Answer by heather.darin at 12:40 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Absolutely not. Why in the world would something like that make you a bad parent? That's like saying I'm a bad mother because of the necklace I'm wearing, or I'm a bad mother because I have flip flops on. It's ridiculous and is irrelevant to someone's parenting skills. I have 1 tattoo on my right hip. You can't even see it in a bathing suit. I got it when I turned 18 and wanted it in a spot where my mom couldn't see it. It was just a stupid thing I did at the time. I have thought about getting another one on my shoulder blade of a dove with its wings open and names of people in my family underneath but I don't know if I will or not. So I guess I should have my son taken away because of that? Because of my tattoo I am unable to feed, cloth, shelter, and love him. *rolls eyes*
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:44 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Nope. Tattoos and piercings are just like art in a museum. It is how we express ourselves. Our body is a canvas and we have to choose carefully what we put on it. I actually just got my second tattoo and updated my family tattoo. Then again you never know who may have a piercing or tattoo since you can get them done in non visible places.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 12:46 PM on Aug. 1, 2009