Would YOU give your life for another?

READ THE ENTIRE QUESTION PLEASE!

Those in the military know they may give their life for another. Many of you are opposed to this and would never join the military because of it.

Would you be willing to die of say cancer, heart attack or stroke if it meant someone else could have the medical treatment instead?

If you would give your life for another for medical treatment but not for freedom, why? Vice versa?

The new healthcare plan will make one of these a given, guess which one?

yourspecialkid

Asked by yourspecialkid at 12:21 PM on Aug. 1, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I would die for my country.

I am NOT willing to give someone else my healthcare. Call me selfish if you want. Medical treatment is my choice not someone elses.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:23 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I would give my life for both without question, hesitation or second thought--especially if it meant my children would live on because of my efforts on their behalf. It would never be a matter of "what about me?" In the grand scheme of things, I really am too infinitesimal to matter, but those I love and care for are monumental and I would do anything for them. Would I apply this to strangers--probably. I donate blood as often as my iron levels allow, have donated plasma, platelets, and have placed my name on a national bone marrow registry. Little things each, but could make a profound difference in the lives of others. Something note on the health INSURANCE reform, each individual participating will have a choice of coverage. If one likes what is provided through his or her employment, they can keep it. If not they can choose from other options. The idea is to make it available for all. Again, I would gladly share.

PsWifey

Answer by PsWifey at 12:40 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• They don't see it that way.

For some reason, people are willing to blindly trust the government because they think it's only going to be at most slightly inconvenient, (like an hour wait at the doc instead of only 45 minutes.)

They think there will be plenty of care to go around, that it will be cheaper and better. (Welcome to utopia! Ain't no poor people here!)

Reading into the economics of the bill, I believe them to be mistaken.

As of right now, I'm an organ donor. UHC passes, I'm changing that. (I do have a tiny tin foil hat I keep for emergencies) the more I read of the bill, the more it scares me.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:40 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I try to live by the Biblical tenet to "do unto others that which you would have done unto you". If the need arose, I would hope the same kindness would be extended to me.

PsWifey

Answer by PsWifey at 12:41 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Ok, pswifey, would you let your child die so someone else's could receive care?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:51 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Yes I would give my Life for someone! If I knew I was dieing of some kind of Health issue..I would give my Life for someone that could use my Parts in my Body! I plan on being an Organ Donor anway....But yes..
    bonham

Answer by bonham at 12:53 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I've always been an organ donor, and never doubted that EVERY possible life-saving measure would be taken to save my life, BUT lovinangels brings up a really good point. If this bill were to pass--how much pressure will be placed on my husband/executor to allow me to die so they can take whatever organs are needed?!

When it comes to my children--my husband and I agree whatever organ they children need to live, is theirs without hesitation--even if it meant losing our life in the process. But that's how I feel about MY children. I'm selfish when it comes to taking care of my own--so sue me! LOL

We already have Living Wills that state if we could only survive on life support we would rather die.  The question will be, just how quickly would they honor my "death wishes" versus exhausting all possible surgeries/treatments first?

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:57 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

Let's say you just turned 56 two days a go. The cut off age for the lifesaving heart surgery you need is 55. You have lived a healthy life and have a heart defect that has been there since birth. With surgery you can live many years and be a productive working taxpaying citizen. No surgery for you though, you are 56.

The 55 yr old junk food eating, chain smoking, grossly obese lifetime welfare recipient in the bed beside you gets the surgery.

Happy now?
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:59 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I would leave that decision up to my child--I don't have the market on making personal decisions.
    PsWifey

Answer by PsWifey at 1:00 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I left out organ donor--if I have any useful parts and someone else can benefit, they are welcome to them (even the person in the previous description--who knows, that one act could change that person's outlook and attitude on life being that they now have an extended one to live).
    PsWifey

Answer by PsWifey at 1:03 PM on Aug. 1, 2009