• In the Spotlight:

5th grade

i am alittle nervous about my daughter going into 5th grade.i read the daily buz about 5th grade and i am worried.she is very sensitive about her friends.it says that more cliques are formed.she is in girl scouts.and she will be doing cheerleading this yr.(something new for her)but i really think she is going to be left out.i put her in swimming lessons and tennis camp but didnt make a single friend.i gave her hints on what to do,,,(oh you have a dog so do i)things like that.she is so fricken shy though.sorry about the language but she is.she is so worried about being left out,and so am i...i dont know if i should just go with the flow or what??any ideas?

nana77500

Asked by nana77500 at 12:21 PM on Aug. 1, 2009 in

• Stop worrying. I am very shy too and had enough friends to make me happy. I don't need a lot of friends and never did. As long as she has a few good friends she will be fine. Maybe she is happy not having a bunch of friends. Let her lead the way, it is her life and she knows what she wants. Don't force friendships, don't force her to talk to kids, she will do it on her own and when she is ready.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:30 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I would tell her teacher so that he/she can maybe help her out by assigning seats where your daughter can be near someone friendly. Or she can have them talk to others about their interests. My son is the same way, I know how hard it can be.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 12:31 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• you cant help being nervous.....my daughter has aspergers and will be mainstreaming into regular ed classes more this year.....she also has hard time making friendsso i really dont expect many friends for her this year but my main fear is bullys....and her school has zero tolerance for bullys but that isnt going to stop them if they can find a way to torment her....
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 7:03 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• My son and step daughter are both in 5th grade. My son is a little shy, makes enough friends to get through school and is in Scouts and baseball. He does fine.
    My stepdaughter is a social butterfly enough said.
    polkadotpudding

Answer by polkadotpudding at 8:07 PM on Aug. 3, 2009