Almond extract vs vanilla extract

Question for those of you who decorate cakes - i'm making buttercream icing for the first time, and my recipe calls for some vanilla extract... i'm wondering if i should use almond extract instead. [i have both]. anyone know if it will really affect the taste of the icing?

adulation

Asked by adulation at 12:34 PM on Aug. 1, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• It will make it taste very different.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 12:37 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Stick with Vanilla...otherwise you'll end up with a sweet nutty tasting frosting. But if you like almond flavoring--makea small "test" batch of frosting, and see how it works in your recipe! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:44 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I use 1 tsp vanilla and add 1/4 tsp almond per batch of frosting. It makes it taste different but not bad at all. It actually enhances the sweetness.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 5:00 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• almond buttercream is GREAT! My husband always requests that instead of having me use vanilla!
    Nodak_Norsk

Answer by Nodak_Norsk at 1:44 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• The almond does enhance the flavor and it is sooo goood!!!!! It makes everything taste better for some reason! I use it in all my baking! They like it more and people just can't figger it out! It adds a special ahhhhhh after taste that is refreashing and goes good with the sugar.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:49 AM on Oct. 11, 2009