How long does cheese last after the experation date?

I found a 1lb brick of colby and a package of string cheese in the fridge that expired on July 25th. Neither had been open. They didn't had mold.

wheresthewayout

Asked by wheresthewayout at 12:55 PM on Aug. 1, 2009 in Food & Drink

• It should be fine for atleast a couple of weeks. If it starts growing mold then get rid of it. You can shred it and freeze it to use later.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:57 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• It should be good for another month or so. I've never seen an expiration date on cheese, only a sell by date.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:56 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Cheese is usually ok until is starts molding or if it's been hardened by the surrounding air. Even if it does have a little spot of mold, usually you can cut that piece off and the rest is fine.
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 1:03 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• It is pretty obvious when cheese is bad...

Answer by rkoloms at 4:14 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• I pretty much continue to eat cheese until I see mold on it, unless it's really old. It would have to be older than about 3 months old for me to throw it out and then if it looked okay and tasted okay, I probably still wouldn't.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 6:20 PM on Aug. 1, 2009